George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My zanussi aquacycle 1000 has been lurching violently at start

My zanussi aquacycle 1000 has been lurching violently at start of wash then is fine. spin is noisy and has a knocking sound. Now I have just noticed that there is a bump on the drum, as if something is about to burst through.
Thank you in advance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available

Can you give me the model number or product code of the appliance please

Customer:

Hi George

Customer:

model number is ZT1012

George-Allsorts :

Thanks for the model information... One moment please whilst I look at the build structure of your appliance

George-Allsorts :

Are you able to open the door of the appliance

Customer:

The machine operates fully otherwise

George-Allsorts :

Can you open the door for me

Customer:

? the machine functions fully apart from the noise that sounds as if there is a lump of concrete in the wash. then this lump appeared in the drum today. I cannot give any more info than this

George-Allsorts :

Yes, I understand... I want you to try a few things for me..

Tell me when you have done each stage

Firstly, open the door..

Customer:

door is open at the moment

George-Allsorts :

place one finger on the upper edge of the metal drum and gentley push upwards..

let me know if there is any upwards movement

Customer:

No upward movement

George-Allsorts :

OK.. can you place you hand inside the appliance and grab hold of one of the paddles used for moving the water... spin the drum by hand and tell me if there is any noise whilst the drum is rotating

Customer:

A soft whine

George-Allsorts :

The problem then seems to be that you have a problem with the shock absorbers or one of the counterweights of the appliance

George-Allsorts :

Are you able to do physical work on the appliance

Customer:

Yes, still used the machine with the bump( as if out of balance) until today, when I noticed the drum was damaged ,I decided to stop using it, as the problem was probably serious.

George-Allsorts :

The shock absorbers are accessible from the rear of the appliance... looking at the age of the appliance, unless you have it regularly serviced, I would imaging that it is in need of a service.. I would think that you are probably best to call in an engineer to service the appliance and investigate changing any damaged shockers at the time

Customer:

If this is the problem(s) can this be fixed by a competent diyer? or does the drum etc need to be removed

George-Allsorts :

One moment please

George-Allsorts :

I have just looked at the diagrams of your appliance..

If you are only going to service the motor and attend to the shock absorber then it is a diy job if you are able to concentrate on where you remove parts, screws and wires from in order to replace them in the correct place and order... However, if you are wanting to deal with the drum problem then the drum will need to be removed and that is best left to an engineer..

Customer:

Would any of the above reasons, cause the drum to be struck underneath, with such a force to cause such a dent

George-Allsorts :

Normally a dent is caused by something like a rengade sock or pair of tights that has managed to pass the seal then rolled into a ball and caught on the heater element

Customer:

Ok George,I will contact an engineer and get back to you in the near future

Customer:

,with the result

George-Allsorts :

Do you want me to pass you some engineer information for your area?

George-Allsorts :

If there is nothing further that I can assist you with today, then I would appreciate if you would give today's assistance a rating.. You can do this by clicking on the smiley faces that you can see..

regards