George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Just moved a 1 year old low usage Bosch maxx9 upstairs without

Just moved a 1 year old low usage Bosch maxx9 upstairs without the transport bolts. The belt has started to slip on the drum wheel causing a screeching noise at certain points in the cycle. The drum spins freely by hand with no noise or resistance. This machine has done under 200 washes and has only had problem since moved. All the springs and dampers are in place and working correctly.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Firstly, can you supply the full ENR and FD from the data sticker on the appliance..

Secondly, I would advise taking off the belt, then spinning the motor by hand and doing the same to the drum to detect any anomalies... tightness, wobbles, screeching,etc.

Customer: Hi George.
George-Allsorts :

Customer: enr-wap28360gb/01 fd-920500063. The motor and drum spin freely with no resistance or rumbles
George-Allsorts :

If you take off the belt, spin the drum by hand, it should carry on spinning without stopping for some time... Did it do this?

Customer: yes
George-Allsorts :

This is the model with the large metal pulley wheel is it not?

Customer: it is yes
George-Allsorts :

Did the belt come off whilst you were moving the appliance?

Customer: no. The appliance completed 5 or 6 washes without any problem and then started the noise. I have observed the belt slipping although taught and when you assist the drum it doesn't seem to make any difference!
George-Allsorts :

What do you mean by 'assist the drum' ?

Customer: when the belt is slipping i turn the pulley in the same rotation to see if there is resistance from the drum.
George-Allsorts :

Did you actually remove the belt and try rotating the drum?

Customer: i have rotated the drum with belt whilst the machine is attempting spin, when the machine is off and with the belt removed and have found no resistance apart from the actual load in machine.
George-Allsorts :

Can you try removing everything from the drum, remove the belt, open the door, and using one of the paddles, spin the drum and time how long it spins before stopping please

Customer: 14 secs
George-Allsorts :

Did you give it a good strong spin?

Customer: top score is 20 secs Olympic effort!
George-Allsorts :

Then I am going to suggest that there is either something inhibiting the full spin of the drum, or, you have a problem with the bearings

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask, are you male or female

Customer: howl long do you think it should spin for? I am male
George-Allsorts :

On a drum with good bearings and no inhibitors, 60-90 secs...

The reason I asked you gender was to determine the probable cause other than bearings... Do you have any socks missing, or do you have a female with any tights missing

George-Allsorts :

If a drum has restrictions to spinning, especially a fast spinning drum, the belt will release from the pulley wheel because of the tension of being pulled against a restriction

Customer: no haven't lost anything and have checked the fluff filter and outlet from drum.
George-Allsorts :

The I would suggest replacing the belt and seeing if the belt itself is the cause... However, the drum should spin frely for a lot longer than it is doing so.

George-Allsorts :

The belt you require is this one on the Bosch Website

George-Allsorts :

If you hold the belt up so that the side of the belt is facing you... Is it bent?

Customer: so you don't think there's a link between moving the machine and the fault? Could an item of washing get up around the bearing causing restriction
George-Allsorts :

I do not see a link between the moving of the appliance and the noise/belt slipping problems...

I do think that an item of washing may have escaped and managed to get itself between the inner and outer drum, or, you have a bearing problem.. However, the latter is unusual so early on

George-Allsorts :

The simple fact is.. Something is restricting the free movement of the inner drum

George-Allsorts :

This is the cause of the belt slipping

Customer: ok George thank you for your time.