Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have the same problem as Brett the chap who hob did the same

Customer Question

I have the same problem as Brett the chap who hob did the same thing. The "L" shows on all four positions when switched on. Tried the - and bottom tight hand position , works for that time. Then when switched off and switched back on again the L shows again. Just turned off the main breaker for 5 minutes. Turned back on again the L is still showing now unable to turn it off by pressing the - and lower right hand position. The hob just switches off.
Please advise
Pauline James
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the make and model number please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I do not know, it's about 6 years old, we have no details on it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I know is that's its a Schott Ceran ceramic hob. About 6 years old
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok Schott Ceran is just the supplier of the glass top.

L means the child lock is turned on so depending on the make theres several different ways of removing it.

So lets try the most common one first. With the hob turned on press and hold the power on button forr several seconds and see if that takes it off.

Try that and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it does not work E comes up on top left hand position, r comes up on top right hand position, 0 comes up on bottom left hand position and 3 comes up on bottom right hand position.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok thats an error code and to find out what it is i will need the make and model number of the hob.

Are you able to acces underneath it? As there will be a sticker on there with the make and model details.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sorry unable to take the hob out
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok im afraid without the make at least im not going to be able to tell you have the error code is as all makes have different meaning for the codes.

Is this an induction hob or just a normal hob?

What make is your oven and did you get them at the same time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thick it is an induction hob, we have no instruction booklet for it. The oven is completely different as we changed the oven only a few weeks ago.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok as its induction then its only ever the control boards that fails in these. As thats all thats in there is the control boards and the magnetic plates which these never fail.

What you can try if you are able to is remove the hob and disconnect the wiring to it and leave it for 20 mins. Then wire it back up and see if its cleared the error code.

But if its still the same then its going to be a fault on the control board which on all makes is a very expensive repair as some boards can be £300 so it can be cheaper to replace the hob rather then fixing it.

But to repair anything on these im afraid you need to remove the hob. As if you have the E03 error code comming up then it isnt locked but its reporting a problem on the hob.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

No worries your welcome. If you need anymore info at all just get back to me.