George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Caple INBUILT FRIDGE/FREEZER Model code R1557. The

I have a Caple INBUILT FRIDGE/FREEZER Model code R1557. The upper fridge has an adjustable thermostat control knob 1 - 7 . The lower FREEZER compartment does not freeze properly measuring only -8 deg C. It should be -10 deg lower still.
Can the freezer temperature be set at a lower rate so that the fridge compartment does NOT become frozen i.e. when the fridge thermostat is set at 6 , the fridge contents ice up but the freezer does not become any colder. Is there a hidden thermostat for the FREEZER which is separate form that of the FRIDGE !
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

George-Allsorts :

Can you please check the label on the inside of the fridge compartment for the model & refrigerant information as R1557 is not listed as a model

George-Allsorts :

Never mind.. The model is RI557.

George-Allsorts :

Can you check to see if:

Any ice on the back wall of the freezer
Is the fan in the freezer compartment is going round
Is the compressor running all the time

What temperature is the compressor Hot / Warm / Cold

JACUSTOMER-insu49o7- :

Model is R1557 confirmed on inside of FRIDGE.

George-Allsorts :

it is RI not R1.. That was the problem

JACUSTOMER-insu49o7- :

There is no ice whatsoever on the back of the FREEZER unit.The compressor is running as normal. I'l check the temperature of the compressor assuming the vents allowing cold air into the freezer compartment is cold . Going out now - leave your diagnosis. Is there a separate control for this UNIT or is the fridge thermostat controlling the FREEZER temperature. I don't want a FROZEN fridge just to get a FREEZING freezer.

JACUSTOMER-insu49o7- :

No idea ... IT LOOKS LIKE RI557 SORRY!

George-Allsorts :

This is what we need to diagnose.. We need to ask a series of questions to do this

With backwards and forwards discussion we can come to a diagnosis for you

I will have a look at the controls and other equipment in your system and come back to you later today

JACUSTOMER-insu49o7- :

Thanks - going out now for 4 hours. Leave your diagnosis and answer to the question set.

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me if the fan in the back wall of the freezer is running once you press the door switch

With you saying that the compressor is running as normal I will therefore assume that you have removed the appliance from its housing..

To check the compressor, go to the rear of the appliance and place your hand on the compressor .. Is it warm to the touch or is it hot?

George-Allsorts :

The thermostat in the fridge on this model controls the freezer operation too

George-Allsorts :

The diagnosis depends on the answers to the other questions I have asked

George-Allsorts :

If you need to go out, please do, you can answer my questions later

JACUSTOMER-insu49o7- :

Haven't dismantled the housing. Now that the fridge thermostat is set at 6 , ice is forming on the inside of the FRIDGE compartment.Will try to get to the back of the freezer to check temperature of the compressor when I get back.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have rated the replies and all is sorted thus communicated with JustAnswer HQ via email yesterday. Thanks.

Hello, thanks for the rating..

Are you saying that the unit is now repaired?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes getting a better unit with separate fridge and freezer thermostats.Problem solved.