George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have recently bought a second hand Beko 5100 washing machine

Customer Question

I have recently bought a second hand Beko 5100 washing machine from a very good friend. I tried it for the first time and it works fine, but I am having problems opening the door !! I put one jumper in and set it for a hand wash cycle. couldn't open door, so set it for a cold wash cycle. It has finished this but the "ready" light and the "spin/end" light are still on and the door refuses to open. What buttons do I need to press to re-set the door to open it or am I going to need a Beko technician to visit to fix it ?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Is there any water visable in the appliance?

JACUSTOMER-o8irg5oe- :

No water visable in the appliance

George-Allsorts :

Ok thank you for letting me know this..

Can you tell me if the door handle feels weak to squeeze..

JACUSTOMER-o8irg5oe- :

Hmmm not sure what you mean as I not "Squeezing" a door handle. the handle just sticks out and I assume I just "pull" it to open it. However, I may be wrong.... I hasten to add, I never tried to open the door before the cycle started ie I placed the clothes in, closed the door, set the cycle and now can't open it

George-Allsorts :

OK, if it is the type you pull then does it feel loose?

George-Allsorts :

To explain... I am trying to ascertain wether the door handle is the cause or the door lock

JACUSTOMER-o8irg5oe- :

yes, a bit loose, but I am loathe to put it too hard. no probs with the questions, just unsure what to do

JACUSTOMER-o8irg5oe- :

I suppose I may have slammed it close and then caused the problem - maybe

George-Allsorts :

I'm going to tell you how to open it, but then you will need to deal with the cause.. This is what I was trying to help you with

George-Allsorts :

To open it:

George-Allsorts :

Disconnect the power
Pull the machine out
Undo the screws at the rear of the lid and remove the lid
From the front of the appliance reach down the right side to the door lock
Feel for the Pecker poking through the door lock and push it toward the center of the door
The door will then open without the need to smash the lock or other door parts
Once you have got the door open you are then able to replace the necessary parts in the door that have broken and if need be the interlock too

George-Allsorts :

are you ok with that?

JACUSTOMER-o8irg5oe- :

Yep, that's fine thanks

George-Allsorts :

Let me know if you need anything else... If you keep me up to date I can assist you with the parts needed too

JACUSTOMER-o8irg5oe- :

ok and many thanks again. I appreciate your assistance and will go and have a go

George-Allsorts :

OK

JACUSTOMER-o8irg5oe- :

I switched the electric off, have taken the lid off and can see the door mechanism. However, I am out of my comfort zone and will call a technician in to fix it. Many thanks for your advice etc

Are you sure Penny?..

In that case, would you like me to suggest an engineer local to you?