George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

my hotpoint frostfree fridge-freezer is 5 year old is working

my hotpoint frostfree fridge-freezer is 5 year old is working ok but for 3 weeks has started ticking like a clock have you any idea whats wrong .
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you tell me two things please.. Firstly, can you tell me the model number, and second, from what area of the fridge freezer is the ticking coming?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available

Customer:

hello I think the model number is ff175b and the ticking seems to be coming from the freezer operation knob I,m not very good at this sort of thing my husband died last year and I haven't found anyone who knows anything about fridges

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me .. Is this ticking a constant, or is it on and off in short periods?

Customer:

hello George did you get the reply I sent you with the imformation you wanted .

George-Allsorts :

Hi, yes I did.. I then asked "Can you tell me .. Is this ticking a constant, or is it on and off in short periods?"

Customer:

hello George , the model number is ***** and the ticking sounds as if its coming from the freezer operation knob .its a load tick and sometimes does a double tick , I lost my husband last year so ive never had to do anything like this I carnt seem to find anyone who knows anything about it

George-Allsorts :

Can you see what I am typing to you?

George-Allsorts :

Is this a tick tick tick tick that keeps going... or is it a click that sounds like a stiff light switch?

Customer:

im so sorry ive only just found your replys George its a tick tick tick that dosent stop its louder than my clock

George-Allsorts :

Have you got a lot of food in your freezer?

Customer:

no I havent

George-Allsorts :

Good... Can I ask you to defrost it.. It sounds like you have a little ice behind the panel and the fan it making the noise as the fan blades hit the ice

Customer:

George its frost free theres no ice in the freezer

George-Allsorts :

I know it is a frost free.. frost free fridge freezers have fans that work as part of the frost free system.. sometimes ice forms behind the panel near to the fan..This is what I am assuming has happened to yours.. You will not be able to see the ice.

If you can do this for me and then switch it on again tomorrow.. Hopefully I am right and the clicking will be gone

George-Allsorts :

The reason I asked about the tick tick ticking was for this exact reason... If you had said it was Clicking like a switch I would have said it was the thermostatLet me know how you get on.

Customer:

ok George I will have to defrost it tomorrow I will ask my friend to put what food I have in her freezer thankyou so much

George-Allsorts :

Please let me know how it goes, as I want to get to the bottom of this for you.. I think that this will be what the problem is, but If it isn't then we'll have to look a little more closely at the system

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair