Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Neff Microwave c57w40 that keeps blowing the internal

Customer Question

I have a Neff Microwave c57w40 that keeps blowing the internal fuse the split second you push the start button. I have already cleaned the internal fan and motor for free and easy movement, but its not that, as it was cleanish anyway.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 1 year ago.
Customer:

Hi, welcome to Just answer

Customer:

How old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

around 3-4 years i recon.

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

micro wave  spec
Full Size Image

Customer:

Thanks for that ... the problem is either with the HV diode or the door interlock that is bad and will need replacment

Customer:

*replacement

Customer:

usually it is the HV Diode

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

anyway of testing it before ordering new to find its not that?

Customer:

Microwaves have high voltage even when unplugged ... the HV capacitor has to be discharged first in order to test the diode ..I do not recommend doing this repair yourself

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

whats a little bit of high voltage between freinds!!!

Customer:

?

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

that was a joke ...............so where do we go from here?

Customer:

You can contact Neff or a local service engineer and get it replaced

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

where do we go from here with your service?

Customer:

are you still willing to repair it yourself ?

Customer:

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

yes I want to repair myself. i am a mechanical engineer with some electrical ?

Customer:

OK, then I hope you understand the risks involved ... you will have to short circuit the HV capacitor first in order to test the diode

Customer:

the voltage can be upto 2500 V for the capacitor

Customer:

so be careful while you are doing this

Customer:

then you should have a megger with you so that you can test the diode

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

hmm dont have megga?

Customer:

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ...Thanks

Customer:

OK, that is the only way to test the diode

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

are the diodes expensive? can i discharge the hv capacitor by shorting it to earth?

Customer:

Diode will cost around £50-60

Customer:

I won't do something that I dont know

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

wow expensive diode.

Customer:

sorry that is with labor

Customer:

I mean if you get it fitted by a engineer

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

how much just the diode then?

Customer:

£15-20

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

so where do i stand with your charges as youve told me I cant fix it and to get an engineer in?

Customer:

so that is the only thing I told you ?

Customer:

anyways

Customer:

please contact customer support

JACUSTOMER-3ykg0g4r- :

no, dont like your tone, I was asking.......

Customer:

I am not authorized to provide any information about the charges ... you have asked this earlier as well so it is better to contact support to know more about the charges