Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

hoover condensing tumbledryer turns on but doesn't start sometimes

Customer Question

hoover condensing tumbledryer turns on but doesn't start sometimes it makes a clicking noise behind the start button
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Can you give the model number and product code please both are on the rating label ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

hoover hd 8kg model no vhv381/1

Dales-Electronic :

OK a couple of questions can you rotate the drum when the appliance is empty ? Will the drum turn with no load?

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

no drum wont turn with no load, you turn machine on it beeps with red light on but doesn't start there is also a ticking sound coming from behind the on off button

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

can also physically turn drum by hand when empty

Dales-Electronic :

OK take the top off and when done come back to me.

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

have taken top off machine

Dales-Electronic :

OK you might need six hands here ~ set it up for a normal drying session, hit start and then manually rotate the drum from the top and see if it picks up and turns ?

Dales-Electronic :

You need to hold the start button in whilst you rotate the drum !

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

ok,ta***** *****d off and turned drum manually whilst holding start button -nothing,when turned on machine is ticking from

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

sorry, when turned on machine is ticking from printed circuit board

Dales-Electronic :

OK either you pcb or your motor is faulty ~ most likely the pcb, usually a capacitor on the board has failed which doesn't allow sufficient voltage to the motor relay (hence the ticking) to allow the relay to click over and supply power to the motor.

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

is the pcb expensive or easy to fit as machine is less than 5 years old ?

Dales-Electronic :

Hang on a minute and I'll just check

Dales-Electronic :

Depending on version there are two different boards cost is either £41 or £53 plus vat

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

thanks for your help excellent service saved me a callout can replace board myself

Dales-Electronic :

Your welcome, once rated using the smiley faces below you can come back and ask further questions free of charge and I will be happy talking you through the replacement if you need help. Have a great evening, if you need further help sourcing the pcb give me a call ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-bt7nh1gl- :

cheers ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Ian ,

where is the best place to get the pcb ? looked at various web sites would like genuine part, thanks

Got to ~ www.spares4appliances.co.uk find the part, then checkout and got to pay by card, once there put '1976' in the discount code box (this allows you my discount with this company) and then pay and the item will be delivered to You. If you have problems give me a ping ~ Ian