Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

, I have an ecotec 831. I turned it off today, reoplaced

Customer Question

hi, I have an ecotec 831. I turned it off today, reoplaced a leaking central heating pipe, refilled the system, now it will not start, just displays s. 0, no heat required.
any ideas please,
thanks,
mark
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi . it may notvbev up to pressure enough to operate the water pressure switch . do you know what pressure it is at?

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

the gauge is half way up so should be ok

Customer:

Ok , it would be worth checking the air release valve is open and the pump bled

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

how would I do that? is it easy

Customer:

Yes , fairly easy . take the boiler case off and look for the air release valve , there may be a cap on it that needs loosening. On the pump face will be a bleed screw( flat head screw driver) undo until water comes out . also check the pump isn't red hot , it may have burnt out if it was running while the system was drained down

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

sorry for the delay, I took the cover off and cracked the screw and water came straight out. any other things to check?

Customer:

Hi , did you find the air release valve? It sit on top if the pump towards the back ?

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

there is a plastic cap, like a tyre valve cap on the top towards the back but there is no flat blade bleed screw there

Customer:

That's it. Check the cap isn't tight , this would stop air releasing when refilling the system.turn it anti clock wise toloosen it . listen for air coming out

Customer:

You can use your fingers like a tyre cap

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

I took it right off and did not hear any air coming out as I loosened it. the boiler just seems dead. display says 0 degrees c. press the I button and it says s. 0 which is no heat required. it does not try to fire or anything. no fault codes though. anything else to look at or does it need someone to look at it?

Customer:

Ok , . what programmer do you have , and what room stat? LSO , do you have a multimeter to test voltage?

Customer:

Itvmay be that they boiler isn't receiving a call from heat from the programmer or room stat

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

its an iflo programmer. the boiler does not respond to give hot water at the taps or heating. the programmer is lit up and looks ok

Customer:

Ok . it must be a fault within the boiler . if the boiler was left running whilst it was drained down the pump may have ran dry and burnt out . the boiler won't run if the pump isnt running . if your boiler was working fine before you worked on a heating pipe , I am assuming you drained down, and this is the only explanation that would make sense without going through component testing. A way of checking if the pump is running is to open the pump bleed screw and insert a screwdriver to see if the shaftcis turning.

Customer:

Sorry , meant shaft/ impellor is turning .

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

I turned the boiler off before draining the system so don't think it should be burnt out. I assume water will run everywhere if I take the screw out

Customer:

Sometimes it drips , sometimes a bit more depending on age of pump ( o rings) . a towel and screwing the bleed screw back in quick is the key. Easier when its your own boiler without a customer looking over your shoulder .

Customer:

The boiler has to be on and pump live and trying to run to do this test

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

well nothing will work on the boiler so I'm a bit stuck. I assume there must be some sort of sensor to tell it when the tap is on. it's odd that both have packed up though

Customer:

The pump pumps the heated boiler water round the heating circuit if needed or if hot water is required the pump pumps the heated water through a hot water heat exchanger indirectly heating the hot water. I suggest getting someone to check tgev pump

JACUSTOMER-i8xuni9x- :

ok, thanks for your help

Your welcome , all the best