Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

A friend gave me an old Dualit Toaster that keeps tripping

A friend gave me an old Dualit Toaster that keeps tripping the mains.....is there somewhere I could get it repaired or is there something I could do?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Customer:

Is it easier to Skype? Do think I may be able to repair the toaster myself?

Dales-Electronic :

Dualit parts are readily available in the UK, the repair whilst fiddly is within most peoples scope if you take things carefully as the heating sheets are quite fragile. If you dont fancy doing it most local repair shops will do it for you. ~ ian

Customer:

Can you tell what I am paying £16 for....I'm a bit confused?

Customer:

How do I know what is causing the problem.......therefor what parts to order/

Dales-Electronic :

Just Answer is a charge for information/advice network. All monies paid by the customer are collected by the American Parent Company and the advisers paid a fixed rate per call. You can ask as many questions as you wish ~ you have only asked if the toaster could be fixed so far and have received the appropriate answer, if you need further advice ask away. I will need the model number and serial number of the product to help you further or I can suggest a local repair company that will repair the item for you if you give me your postcode.

Customer:

Model: 20245

Customer:

Serial No: 2000.50/2/A

Customer:

Post Code BN3 1HH

Dales-Electronic :

OK assuming that it is one of the elements that is damaged (knife damage) they are around ten pounds each. Are you able to use a multimeter or do you just want to send it away for repair? ~ Ian

Customer:

I don't know what a multimeter is but I would take it locally to have it repaired if you can recommend somewhere?

Customer:

If it's NOT knife damage (that was only a guess) what other possibilities are there?

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me see if I can find someone near to You, the problem these days is that most repair companies only cater for large appliances such as washing machines. Re the fault, it could be that just one of the elements has shorted out, to be honest there isn't much in them other than this that can go wrong ~ Ian

Customer:

Yes I have one that is 23 years old and have once had the elements replaced......but I have looked after it AND kept it clean.

Customer:

Does the serial No give you an idea of the age of this one?

Dales-Electronic :

The question that you have to ask yourself is whether you are prepared to pay the price, with the change of elements you are likely to be looking at £50 do You want to pay that for a second hand product ?

Customer:

Maybe not!.....I didn't realise it would cost that much!!

Dales-Electronic :

These days even for a small appliance repair you are looking at £30+ for labour (sadly when the tax and postage costs are taken into consideration this is reduced to £20 for the shop) together with sourcing spares and then workshop strip down and subsequently giving a warranty on the repair even at this they make the bare minimum ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

At this point I have given you something to consider ~ would you now kindly rate my information to you using the smiley faces below ~ if you subsequently decided to have the toaster repaired give me a shout on here and I will forward you a company that will do it ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.