George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

, I have a Hotpoint Aquarius dishwasher. I always put it

Hi, I have a Hotpoint Aquarius dishwasher. I always put it on normal wash but today it goes on & light showing on normal then light comes on wash & light on normal wash goes off & a flashing light comes on on eco wash. Dishwasher sounds as though it is on but doesn't seem to have taken in any water. HELP!!!!
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you give me the full model number please

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer:

It is FDW60

Customer:

Hi George it is FDW60

George-Allsorts :

Does the pump sound like it is running all the time

Customer:

Machine is just making the same noise as when normally turned on but nothing else happening

George-Allsorts :

Can you pull out the appliance.. put a towel on the floor behind it, then tilt the appliance backward at 60degrees .. Tell me if any water comes from the rear at the base

Customer:

Ok will try

Customer:

Hi, very difficult as on my own, but tilted as much as I could and no water came out

George-Allsorts :

Is the ECO light that is flashing the third light along the row?

Customer:

Yes

George-Allsorts :

Then this indicates that the anti-flood system has kicked in and is due to either 'water in the base of the appliance', 'a faulty micro-switch on the float', or 'a faulty PCB'.

The biggest cause of the problem is a slight leak into the base of the machine which when it builds to a little puddle it activates the float which operates the micro-switch, which in turn switches on the pump to empty the appliance... It will not let you do anything else until the water has been tipped from the appliance

George-Allsorts :

If you need further help, please feel free to ask...

If you would like me to suggest and engineer to call out to you then please ask and leave me your postcode

Customer:

Thank you George, the machine is 7 years old & not sure it is worth paying an engineer to come out. Maybe that cost would be better put to a new machine, what do you think?

George-Allsorts :

This is a point to think about... as once breakdowns start they tend to accumulate

If you decide to buy new, then please think about putting the old one on to Findmyrecycler where someone may accept it in for refurbishing

George-Allsorts :

An engineer call to the appliance will cost somewhere in the region of £40 - £70 depending where you live and then you would have parts to pay for

George-Allsorts :

-----------------------------------
OK... I'll leave it with you for now..

Can I ask you to take a little time to assist me by clicking on the smiley faces that you can now see... This will help me as it rates my assistance with your problems ...

Once rated, the screen will change to Q&A , but you will still be able to chat with me further on this if required.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair