canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Problem with Ryobi cordless drill 18V W10 2013. Batteries RB18L13

Problem with Ryobi cordless drill 18V W10 2013. Batteries RB18L13 24Wh (1.3Ah). Neither battery would finish charging, as indicated by green light continuing to flash. The outside workshop however was very cold - 0-5 deg. C. I tried again indoors but received the same symptom from the charger and absolutely no response when testing them on the drill.
Is the most likely cause the original temperature, or possibly something else ?
Are the batteries a write off?
Should the batteries always be stored above 5 or 10 deg. C., or is it only that charging in the workshop itself cannot be done in winter conditions?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. You will have to let the battery warm up before it will charge. The cold will not permanently damage a battery unless it freezes. The temperature that they were in is borderline of the temperature a battery would freeze. I believe the temperature they freeze is -4 or -5.

canuck the pro :

It will also take a long time for the batteries to get to room temperature. Probably 3 or 4 hours at least.

canuck the pro :

I would leave them indoors overnight before giving up on them. If they do not take a charge then call the manufacturer and they may warranty them even if they are a little old. No promise that they will but it is worth the call. You never know how kind a manufacturer will be when a customer kindly complains about their product.