Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

hoover VHC 680c drier runs between 10sec and 10mins

Customer Question

hoover VHC 680c drier runs for anywhere between 10sec and 10mins then cuts out. When running it is however heating up.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you leave it on after it cuts out does it then come back on some time later ie you may have a 20 minute gap and then it starts up again? ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

usually can be restarted manually within seconds or max 1min. neil

Dales-Electronic :

Hi Neil, I need you to put it on let it run until it cuts out and then see if it will restart without you touching it, this might take up to ten minutes ~ this will allow me to diagnose if you have a motor fault or something else ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

ok will come back to you. neil

Dales-Electronic :

OK

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

Have checked with wife she says it never re starts. Have just confirmed this by leaving for 10min and no restart. neil

Dales-Electronic :

How handy are you with tools and and soldering iron?

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

Should be ok what do I need to do? neil

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you take the top off you will see a pcb behind the facia panel, noting where the wires go look for either shorted out components or a relay that has a melted joint where it passes through the pcb. If you find the latter, resolder it up and try it out, if you can't find anything then it's most likely that this board has failed and need replacing. Cost of the board is about £50 ~ I'm heading out for a couple of hours to do a couple of repairs, will be back a bit later to check how you got on ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

OK will let you know. neil

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

Ian, not sure if my previous answer on m/c restarting itself was correct. When i went back to the dryer, which is out in a garage, as i brushed against the side of the dryer it restarted for about 10 sec then cut out again. Waited a minute and then gave it a shake and general 'slapping' and it restarted and has been running continuously now for over 20 min. I'm thinking loose connection/dry joint, will have the control board out and have a good look round. Talk wwhen you get back. neil

Dales-Electronic :

No worries, I think that as mentioned you have a lose wire either on the board or connecting to it ~ Im back online now

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

Had good look around and reseated all plugs onto board, then set going on a 1hr program with m/c empty. Ran for 40 min but then stopped. I then set it off again on same conditions. Ran for full cycle. What do you think? neil

Dales-Electronic :

I still think it is likely to be the board, you may need to get the board out and under good light and with a magnifying glass have a really close look at the tracks and connectors and lastly the solder joints

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

I agree, job for tomorrow now. If I cannot find anything do you think it a reasonable gamble to purchase a new board? neil

Dales-Electronic :

If you can hold on Neil I will see if I can find you a company that can repair/check the one you have got ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

ok

Dales-Electronic :

.

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

Was going to do rating when you let me know if you had any success with check/repair company. Do you want it done now?? neil

Dales-Electronic :

Can you let me have any numbers etc labels or further details from the pcb itself please Neil

JACUSTOMER-sff6olpb- :

Ian, will take a rain check on that as I had already put m/c back together. Have also carried out a number of successful cycles on the drier. Thanks for your help, will rate your help as Good Service. Neil

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
OK Neil ~ thank you for the rating, hopefully it was just a loose connection after all, if you need further help come back to me, its free from here on ~ take care and have a good day ~ Ian