George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

We have a Bosch Classixx 1200 express. It is about 5 years old. It does not had heavy use.

We ran a wash cycle last thing at night. The following morning on return to the machine i turned it off without looking. On opening the door it was still full of water. Noticed that the softener was gone.
We drained the machine by unscrewing the filter. There was nothing obvious in there other than a flood of water.
Tried to run the machine again it made a horrible grating noise, so quickly turned it off.
Tried to run the cycle again it got to the spin part but did not spin.
It would not empty.
Again drained the machine and fiddled around inside the filter opening. Found a small peg like chrome piece of metal (3cm long or so) with a thread at one end and turned end at the other.
Tried to do a spin on its own.
The machine did spin but at a very slow speed and intermittently.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is George..

This sounds like it is going to take a bit of time and many questions to detect what has happened... However, firstly, can you give me the full Enr and FD from the inner of the door. Secondly, is it possible for you to take an image of the object and post it here?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer:

FD 8701

Customer:

Nr WAE24162UK/01

Customer:

Full Size Image

George-Allsorts :

First question.... Does anyone in your household do welding? That is the tip of a mig welder

Customer:

My son's friend brought a welder to the house recently. There was a problem with it and they were taking it apart. It is an arc welder.

Customer:

Could this have caused a screeching sound getting trapped in the pump mechanism. My son fished this out and was not sure quite what it was.

Customer:

i have put the washer on a spin and it makes a noise like a cog going round and then after a minute or so starts to spin and eventually gets up to full speed running very quietly. i will do a full wash in the morning just to make sure it is back to normal. i will let you know.

George-Allsorts :

The welding tip will have certainly made some sort of a noise and because it would stop the appliance from pumping out it would also have prevented it from spinning due to the water left in the appliance.

If it was running against the metal inner drum, yes, it could have made a screeching noise.

As for the cog noise, that sounds like the motor brushes are running across a raised segment on the commutator of the motor... Youcan check this by taking off the back and listening whilst turning the motor by hand.. Problems with the motor can also cause screeching.

George-Allsorts :

If you wish to ring me whils the noises are apparent, you can do so by ringing my work phone #07787182156.

Customer:

We ran a full cycle wash this morning. It all ran perfectly.

Customer:

At least i know what the metal part was now. The machine spins smoothly and empties. The only thing seems to have been this welding tip. My son says he has to push his fingers right into this "propeller" inside the pump filter. i wonder if the piece got caught up in this somehow. Anyway alls well that ends well. Many thanks for your prompt and accurate diagnosis of the metal bit.