Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

my smeg fridge has randomly stopped working. the light is

hi my smeg fridge has randomly stopped working. the light is out and its no longer making the chilling noise. plug is switched on and was fine then just suddenly died for no reason. I have no idea why. I dont know the model number just that its the traditional retro fridge with top freezer compartment and its approx 3 years old. please help thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

The model number is ***** on a sticker inside the fridge section behind the salad box. Can you post this please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FAB30QR is what it says next to "Mod"

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that ive got it now.

Im taking it you have tried it in another plug socket an checked the fuse i the plug have you?

If thats all ok then you need to look at the compressor on the left hand side and you will see a plastic cover were the power cables are. Remove the cover and from there check the wiring on the relay and check this hasnt burnt out and theres no loose wires in there.

If that looks ok then you need to check theres 230v there entering the appliance.

If thats ok then you neeed to remove the light housing unit inside the fridge and there you will see the thermostat. Check the wires are fine on there. While thats out check the bulb in there and check it hasnt blown as well.

As for this kind of fault if the power supply is fine then its either thermostat or the relay on the side of the compressor as there the only parts on this that can causes this fault as well.

Check them and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im home alone with a baby and no tools to hand. My husband will be home in an hour so i will get him to check these things. I wont know until then if thats ok.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
No worries thats fine. Im online till about 11pm just get back to me once you have checked that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much will do

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi we have got it working thank you for your help we changed the socket a few times and fiddled with the plug and that solved it. no idea if plug or socket was the issue :\ or why either would suddenly die!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Nice one glad to hear its sorted and thank letting me know.

Just keep an eye on it as you may find its a fault on the socket rather then the plug but fingers crossed this will be fine know.

Also if you havent already if you could rate the answer that would be great.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will do it was probably my own stupidity - hope it is the socket but worried about that being dangerous? is it advisable to get an electrician to check the house? thanks.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

If it is the socket then it will be only that socket and not the whole house. Now you can buy cheap electric checker from the likes of B+Q were you plug it into the socket and it will tell you if its a faulty socket or not.

But fingers crossed its a one off and it will be fine now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks you have been fantastic i am sorry for being stupid :) baby screaming and panic took over i think lol. have a good night :) rated as top :)

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Haha no worries glad to have been here to help you.

To rate you just need to click the smiley face.