Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Dear Sirs, My WHIRLPOOL JT-369MIR stopped working mid-cook.

Dear Sirs,
My WHIRLPOOL JT-369MIR stopped working mid-cook. I have checked the fuse (tried a replacement) to no avail. Is this a common fault? What other checks can I conduct? Is it repairable?
Yours faithfully,
David
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

is

Dales-Electronic :

Is the display lite?

Customer:

Hi Ian,No display comes on when the appliance is plugged in.

Dales-Electronic :

OK are you 100% sure that you have power at the socket?

Customer:

It is/was plugged into the cooker socket. The amber socket light is on and I've tried another device in the same socket to check (it worked).

Dales-Electronic :

ok how handy are you with a screwdriver?

Customer:

Pretty handy

Dales-Electronic :

OK unplug the microwave and take off the top cover ~ ping me on here when You get it off ~ Ian

Customer:

If by top cover you mean the back panel (4 screws - 2 different varieties!) then it's off.

Customer:

All unplugged

Dales-Electronic :

Yes back and top/sides You need to get at the area where the mains cable goes into the oven

Customer:

Okay. Back in a minute

Customer:

Okay, sides and back off. I can see where the mains cable goes through the casing into something with AERODEV written on it.

Dales-Electronic :

You should have a filter board where the cable comes into the appliance, this board should have a fuse on it usually 7 or 10 amp value

Dales-Electronic :

Just checked and it is a 10 amp fuse ~ you need to find the fuse and check that it has not blown.

Customer:

I have found a clear fuse sitting on the outside of the inner casing. It looks clean and intact.

Dales-Electronic :

OK you will need to test that fuse either by using a multimeter or by substituting it with a known working one, if this does not cure your problem and you are sure you have power going into the appliance then unless you are confident and happy to work on an appliance using microwave energy I would take it to a local repair company. However test this fuse out first.

Customer:

Tested the fuse and it's intact. Definitely power at the socket.

Dales-Electronic :

Yes but have you got power going into the appliance ie can you be sure that power is reaching the filter board?

Customer:

Don't know. I tried plugging in just now (with the back off - probably not sensible) and tripped the main fuse.

Dales-Electronic :

OK well either you got unlucky and caught something accidentally or else you have a massive short circuit in the oven. However first things first you need to check out that 10 amp fuse.

Customer:

Fuse checked and there is resistance across it. I can't replace it as it is smaller than a regular fuse.

Dales-Electronic :

have you got continuity on your meter, either a beeper or fsd if not?

Customer:

Meters aren't my strong point so I tried on the sound setting and got tone.

Customer:

Visual inspection of the fuse - it's clean and very intact looking

Dales-Electronic :

OK well I think we are perhaps at the end of the diy with this ~ we have yet to establish if you have power coming in to the microwave can you check that with what you have got?

Customer:

Probably but electricity was never my strength so I think I'll call it a day. Tried plugging in again having checked I hadn't dislodged any of the cables etc and same result; instant trip.

Dales-Electronic :

OK I would put it back together now and take it to your nearest specialist, you really need decent tools to be able to repair microwave units ~ would you now kindly rate my advice to you using the smiley faces below. Thank you for your call to JustAnswer and see you next time ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.