Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My beko dw686 wont wash. It drains OK, then fills with water

My beko dw686 wont wash.
It drains OK, then fills with water but then stops and the timer doesn't count down.
I've tried running the diagnostics program (start + power on) and it fills but then stops with an er2
I've tipped it back 45 degrees to no avail and I've checked all the rubber pipes and can't find any blockages. There is no water collecting underneath and lifting up the float switch causes the drain pump to start until I let it down again.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

When it finishes filling do you hear a slight buzz?

Customer:

let me try it again

Customer:

is that on the diagnostics program or a regular program?

Dales-Electronic :

Regular program forget the diagnostic program for the minute ~ Ian

Customer:

sorry, got to get my kids back in bed, back in a bit

Dales-Electronic :

No worries Im here

Customer:

right. power on, program 5. Lots of whooshing whilst the drain pump is on.
then quieter sound of water coming in

Customer:

low hum in the background. valve closes and everything is quiet...

Dales-Electronic :

OK and when the water stops coming in is there sufficient to carry out the wash and do you hear a buzzing from underneath?

Customer:

how much is sufficient? no buzzing

Customer:

the water covers the filter mesh at the bottom and is cold

Dales-Electronic :

If you open the door you should be able to see a layer of water about 5-10mm of water in the base of the wash cavity

Dales-Electronic :

Have you any means of testing out the heater and wash motor?

Customer:

the timer isn't counting down

Customer:

now more water sounds for about 10 seconds and the water is slightly deeper

Customer:

do you know what the beko error codes mean?

Dales-Electronic :

OK once the water level is reached two things happen, firstly the was motor comes on and then the heater follows ~~ Er2 is indicative of there being a shortage of water in the wash cavity hence my question.

Dales-Electronic :

type 'wash motor'

Customer:

no idea how to test the heater or motor

Customer:

more water going in...

Customer:

now up to the base of the door

Customer:

how does it know how much water is in the cavity? I couldn't find a suitable sensor for that.

Dales-Electronic :

There is a pressure switch that senses the pressure of water pressing down on a diaphragm, it is located in the side panel usually connected by a tube about the size of a car washer bottle if you find the tube check that it is not blocked which would stop the appliance from sensing if there was water in the cavity

Customer:

Ok, i see lots of tubes...

Customer:

A blue one from the salt container to the filter cavityt

Customer:

a 15mm? one from the filter cavity going up the side of the machine

Customer:

a 10mm? one coming down from the left to the float switch and a similar 10mm green one going from the float switch up the right side of the machine

Dales-Electronic :

I stand corrected having just checked the parts list there is a water flow meter a circular white thing with a pipe in and one out and a small circuit board and cable connected to it. It works like a turbine as water is passed through it it measures the number of rotations which equate to the amount of water, these have a habit of getting scaled up and not working correctly or the cables become detached.

Customer:

where's that likely to be located?

Dales-Electronic :

Im afraid you will have to leave this with me until I get to work in the morning and I can get an illustrated diagram of all the parts for you, cant get access to the system at the moment.

Customer:

I'm going to trace where these pipes go and see if anythings clogged

Dales-Electronic :

OK see how you get on

Customer:

the thin tubes appear to go to an open channel at the base of the door - overflow?

Customer:

there is a flow meter on the water inlet. disconnecting and blowing on it makes the meter spin ok

Dales-Electronic :

Yes that is the one, that by revolving counts the amount of water going in to the machine, you need to check with a multimeter the connection is sound to the pcb in the control panel area.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** that a go tonight.

Dales-Electronic :

Good luck

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.