Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

We have a Pfaff roller steam iron 580 and think there may

Customer Question

We have a Pfaff roller steam iron 580 and think there may be two problems but not sure how to resolve them.
1) The Descaling Granulate Used blue indicator light is on constantly. We do not use the cartridge as we use ionised water so wonder why the light is on. If for some reason we do need to descale the iron can you give instructions on how this should be done?
2) Also the "Remaining Water" LED is on constantly although the tank is full, so not sure why this is as thought the light came on when the water was low?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jenny
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jenny I'm sorry to hear that,
How old is your steam iron?
When did these problems occur, and does the iron still seem to work or not as well?
Thank you .
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael,

We inherited the iron so do not know how old the iron is but don't think it is all that old.

We have not used it until now as we have an older Cordes 853 model which has been fine but thought this newer model would be easier to use.

The iron heats up fine but there does not appear to be the obvious steaming, as we get from the other model, and the water level hardly reduces.

Jenny

PS Not sure how to rate unless the request comes up when I press reply?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jenny, you can rate my service on this page I think down below. Also it doesn't cost you anything further to rate me;-)
I’ve taken a close look at your question. I hate to tell you, but unfortunately I don’t think the equipment involved here is worth the cost of repairs. You might even have suspected this yourself. For a lot less money than you spent on it years ago, you can fully replace it today. And for the same money, you can get higher performance with far more functionality as well. You can look online for a replacement unit, or go in person to a store.
If you still want to fix this piece of equipment and cost is no object, let me know and I will try to help walk you through it. Or, if you want to scrap your equipment for parts, let me know and I’ll try to help you with that.
I hope you find this answer helpful. If you do, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!
Warmest regards Jenny,
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, before we give up the ghost on it completely are you able to explain what is causing the two problems and how they might be fixed?

That would be appreciated,

Jenny

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jenny, sure thing.
This is caused by sensors in the iron that fail over time, sometimes due to a need for de scaling.
I use a 50 % water and 50 % WHITE VINEGAR solution and run that through a few times. If that helps great! It may if somehow your ionized water has calcium and lime etc in it.
I would try that before buying a new iron. But if that doesn't work the cost to fix this is a bit much and really you could get a new one for almost as much as the repair.
I hope that helps.
Thanks Jenny and have a great weekend!Please rate kindly at this time.-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sounds a simple option so will try. How long do I need just to leave the solution in the tank for and should I switch on and heat it up as well?

Ta

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I would fill the unit and let it sit for atleast 2 hours considering the errors you are getting;-)
And then run fresh solution a few times to see if that helps.
Please rate at this time, I will still be here to work with you if you need there is no additional cost to rate my service.
Thank you Jen.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If this doesn't have much impact is there anything else I can try?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi really all you can do is keep trying that because the system seems really full of sediment that is blocking the sensors and unfortunately there is no other way to clean that;-(
I wish I had better news for you I know they are a bit pricey.
Please let me know if you need any further assistance and have a wonderful day Jenny!
Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
s
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, thanks Michael, really appreciated. Only reason I asked that was that despite the descaling no sign of any sediment coming out and if I put my finger inside the tank it doesn't feel rough or bitty.

Jenny

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jenny, sometimes the sediment is super tiny, it gets into the pours also it wont necessarily appear all covered like you would see on a water pipe etc.
But I will be here for you for any question you may have but please rate my service at this time. Its the only way I receive credit for my time;-)
Thanks so much Jenny.
Tech Michael