Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a 2.5 year old Panasonic fridge freezer: fridge above,

Customer Question

I have a 2.5 year old Panasonic fridge freezer: fridge above, freezer below. Large amounts of ice have begun appearing in the bottom of the freezer. After I remove it, the ice begins reforming after a week or so. I have checked for spills (e.g. ice trays) but there have been none. For quite some time a bead of water has appeared on the upper part of the freezer's gasket, but this never seems to be very much -- hardly more than one might expect from condensation. What is likely to be the cause and what can I do about it?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

First thing we have to do is check that the door seals are OK ~ straight forward job, take a banknote and place it between the cabinet frame and the door seal and gently pull it out, you should feel a resistance as you do so, do this in three places down each side of the door and then come back to me with the results ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

OK just a min

Dales-Electronic :

OK

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

I don't have to tug but there is some resistence there. I checked against the fridge part -- it's the same.

Dales-Electronic :

OK good can you now give me the model number of the fridge freezer and I can have a look at the specs for you ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

Hold on

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

Model number is *****

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me have a look

Dales-Electronic :

OK how handy are you with tools? and are you happy to take the appliance to bits?

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

No, afraid not. Simple I'd try but complicated no.

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

Can you describe the likely "cure" to me?

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me explain what is happening here and then You can decide if you want to have a go. The fridge/freezer is frost free, this means that from time to time it switches off and a heater is switched on in the freezer area to defrost any ice that has formed on the cooling plate (called an evaporator) below the evaporator is a drain hole that drains away the defrosted ice into a container on top of the motor (compressor). Once this process is completed the system restarts and the motor then pushes refrigerant around to cool things ~ at the same time, the residual heat from the motor evaporates the water in the container. The cycle then is repeated every so often. The problem that you have is that the drain hole has become blocked with ice which causes the defrosting water to run into the freezer rather than out the drain hole and this then is frozen in the bottom of the freezer into blocks of ice. Do you follow me so far?

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

Yes -- I had the problem on an earlier frost-free.

Dales-Electronic :

So this problem can be a number of things, perhaps the heater is not being controlled correctly and doesn't give long enough for the process to complete, perhaps the sensors that measure the temperature are defective or perhaps the doors are not shutting properly and causing an excess of ice. Realistically the only way to do this is to remove the freezer draws and carefully remove the back panel where the fan is and have a look. If you are intending to have a go, could I suggest that you defrost it fully once you have confirmed an excess build up off ice. These covers are very brittle when at -20C or there abouts. If you don't fancy having a go I can recommend a local engineer that will do the job if you give me your postcode ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

I think I'll get the engineer in, thanks. Postcode is RH19 2AX.

Dales-Electronic :

OK give me a moment and I'll dig out my list ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

OK try this guy ~ Paul Shaw of Quick Tech on 0845(###) ###-####he should be able to help and covers Your postcode ~ would you now rate my information to you using the smiley faces below, this allows me to close down the job on the system and once completed will allow you to ask any further questions free of charge ~ Thank You for your question and have a nice weekend ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-14ki07kw- :

Sure enough. Thanks for the help and the heads-up on Paul Shaw.

Dales-Electronic :

My pleasure, if you have further problems come back to me

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Try this number I see the original has been blanked out by the system ~#0845(###) ###-####~ Ian