George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

We bought AEG HD8795 Cooker Hood in June 2006. The motor seems

Customer Question

We bought AEG HD8795 Cooker Hood in June 2006. The motor seems to have stopped working. It makes a buzzing noise but does not seem to connect.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you disconnect the power and remove the filter and cover then turn the fan blade by hand does it turn freely?

JACUSTOMER-3snlb2ll- :

I have never seen the fan as the hood is cleaned regularly.

canuck the pro :

I suspect that the blade may be loose but this will not be able to be determined without some minor surgery. Are you quite handy with this sort of thing or are you just getting an idea before calling someone out?

JACUSTOMER-3snlb2ll- :

I am good at cleaning but dare not touch anything electrical. I need some idea before I call anyone.

canuck the pro :

When it was working, did it rattle or make any sort of unusual noise? Did it stop while it was on or just not work when you turned it on?

JACUSTOMER-3snlb2ll- :

It did not rattle but notices in the past few months it would automatically slow down on its own after half an hour. On Sunday it just stopped working.

canuck the pro :

It certainly sounds that the motor has seized. It will almost certainly need a new motor. It is hard to say what the cause may have been. It may have been caused by a slightly loose fan blade that bent the shaft of the fan motor and caused excessive friction. When you call someone out they will be prepared to replace the motor.

JACUSTOMER-3snlb2ll- :

Are you able to recommend any one?

canuck the pro :

The best I can say is to contact the manufacturer to recommend techs in your area.

canuck the pro :

Who knows they may even warranty it or send a free motor. Not likely but possible. It certainly has happened before.

JACUSTOMER-3snlb2ll- :

Even though I am not a technician I could tell the motor had stopped working. I did not get any useful answer.

canuck the pro :

I can tell you how to repair it if you are handy. I am not sure what the expectation is if you are unable to do the repair.

canuck the pro :

I am offering as much information as I can. I am glad to provide any further information you would like. Will you help me to meet your expectations?

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

There could be any one of a number of problems with the appliance.. Motor, Motor field windings, Motor drive capacitor, Electonic module, etc.. It sounds to me like it is most likely to be a problem with either the motor or the motor drive capacitor..

If you are needing an appliance engineer to test, maintain, or repair the cooker hood I can suggest one for you if you can let me know your postcode.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.