George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hotpoint Aqualtis 2 years old. Door lock light won't go off.

Hotpoint Aqualtis 2 years old. Door lock light won't go off. Used manual release to open door. Machine will not complete cycles and door still won't release normally. Problem started after unscrewing filter plug to remove debris
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

Customer: AQ113D
Customer: aQ113D 6971
KevinWhiteJA :

Thanks for that...if the washer drains fine and you have cleaned the filter/drain pump completely then it is the door lock mechanism that is bad and will need replacement

Customer: I think it's a little more complicated than that. If I open the door manually then close it and set the machine to wash the door catch latches so there is nothing wrong with the switch. However, the machine will start on a wash cycle for about 5 minutes then give up. The clock timer continues to count down but nothing happens.. If I switch it off the door lock does not release regardless of how long I leave it. I have run the testing cycle and everything appears to work ok
KevinWhiteJA :

If you think door lock is fine then it is the control board that is bad and will need replacement...

Customer: I don't think that answer is worth £27.00. I could have changed the control board without asking for advice. The machine was fine until yesterday when F5 fault code appeared. I removed a colour catcher from the filter and the code cleared but the machine developed this new problem. I can't believe clearing the filter damaged the control board
KevinWhiteJA :

well until now you have not mentioned anywhere that F 5 code appeared

Customer: Sorry. Please make your suggestion based on this new information
KevinWhiteJA :

no problem, now it explains why it actually stops after few minutes...F 5 is a draining error code...you'll have to take off the filter, then clean it again and look at the back were the filter...you'll see the x shaped impeller, try to clean it and make sure it is cleaned and not jammed...after cleaning, set it on a spin cycle with the filter out and check closely if the impeller is spinning...if not then something is jammed in the pump.... now with the washer unplugged, pull it out and tip it backwards...then take off the hoses and clear them...make sure everything is clean and nothing is stuck...once it is clean try the washer again and let me know how it goes

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon, my name is George..

On the Hotpoint Aqualtis F5 means that yoiu have a pressure switch issue.. The pressure switch not being able to sense that the washer is infact empty will cause the door lock to stay locked.

To solve the issue, you need to remove the lid of the washer and either; blow down the pressure switch hose to release any blockage in the tube, or replace the pressure switch.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Hello again, please get back to me after you have cleaned the drain pump...Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I have checked the impeller and it spins on the spin cycle. I have put a few litres of water in the cylinder and tried the spin cycle. The drum drains as it should but the pump continues to try and pump for the duration of the spin cycle but the drum does not spin. If I Run the test facility the drum spins as it should. I will try blowing down the hose attached to the ores sure switch as you suggest
Alright..please let me know how it goes...Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I have removed the cover that connects the 2 switches at the back of the machine (where the water inlet is) to the detergent tray. When I turn the machine on to start a cycle no water comes from the valves. Water is at a good pressure in the hose
OK, if the drain pump hose is clean then clean the water inlet valve...after the valve is cleaned remove the top off the washer and check the Pressure switch hose, it is located towards the right...you'll see a thin hose attached to it...just blow through that hose and make sure it is clean and give some taps on the switch. Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Water inlet valve is clean. If I run the 'Testing' facility water comes through into the drum. I have blown down the pipe. Still doesn't work.
OK, still the Door lock light won't go off ? Please elaborate the problem that you are facing at the moment and what "Testing" facility are you running ?
The pressure switch looks like thisHPTC00272450
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Got that. I have removed the pipe and blown down it. Also removed pressure switch and blown into and tapped it. No difference unfortunately
Alright, if the error won't appear again and it is the door lock light then it is either the door lock or the control board itself that is bad.

F5 - The pressure switch is stuck, or is not being able to sense that the washer is infact empty (a blockage in the tube)...

To solve the issue, you need to remove the lid of the washer and find the pressure switch.. take off the rubber tube connected to the prssure switch and blow down it in the driection of the drum to clear any possible blockage...

If this does not work then you need to replace the pressure switch ( part number C00272450 )

Do not blow into the pressure switch as this can damage the switch

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
F5 was showing yesterday. This is a regular occurance as my wife insists on using colour run towels! I unscrewed the filter plug and removed the towel. F5 cleared and the machine worked ok until the cycle finished. Then the door lock stayed on an we could not unlock the door. I googled a solution and found the door could be opened using the yellow tab the opposite side to the filter plug. Ever since doing this the machine has not worked
Can you start the appliance at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it starts ok. I will start any of the selected programs but stops after about 5 minutes. No water is coming into the machine so I guess this is why it is stopping. The water pressure is fine and inlet filter is clean
Alright, you can test the water inlet valve with a multimeter...also as advised earlier their is still possibility that water is stuck inside the drain pump..the washer stopped in mid cycle yesterday and since then you are facing this issue, so I believe most likely something is stuck in there...if you have not cleaned it completely then I would request you to test the inlet valve with meter...let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have poured several litres of water into the drum and switched on the spin cycle. The water is pumped out as it should be but the drum does not spin and the pump keeps trying to pump out. I have no idea how to test the inlet switch with a multi meter. However, water flows into the drum on the 'testing' setting
Yes correct I understand the testing cycle however, have you still tried to clean the drain pump/hose ?

As you have responded to me I will answer your comment and then leave you to it with KevinWhiteJA

You say that the appliance is starting and then counting down with no other action.. Then the door is locking ok...

Next should be water inlet, but, the pressure switch will prevent water entering the appliance if it thinks that there is suffice in the tub...
If the pressure switch is stuck (F5), then the door lock will operate, but there will be no water intake ..

The pressure switch also operates the motor therefore a faulty pressure switch would prevent the motor from operating if it thinks water is in the drum.. it MAY continue to pump out untill it can sense an empty drum... the door lock will also be prevented from opening at this point due to the fact that the pressure switch thinks the drum is full of water.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it looks like the pressure switch? Can it be by passed for testing purposes?
I'm sorry, I have never tried, and without knowing the internal connections of that particular one I would not attempt to do so
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looks like Hotpoint are coming in

Sorry I could not give you further assistance other than the diagnostics.

At least you shout be covered by your 5 year parts cover

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair