KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Whirlpool 4505 front loader. THe Clean pump light keeps coming

Whirlpool 4505 front loader. THe Clean pump light keeps coming on. Pump is clean. When starting any cycle, like rinse and spin, the pump starts first as normal but will not let water in or start spinning the drum.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number and how old is it ?

Customer:

AWO/D 4505 about 6 years old

Customer:

I have also tried priming it with 2L of water first

Customer:

Pump is working fine

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, that is a common problem with this model...it says clean pump so you have to clean the pump not the filter ... to do this with the washer unplugged lay the washer flat then you will see the pump towards the right...take it out and then clean it completely, also there is a waste pipe from the drum to the pump...take that out and clean that as well completely...once you have cleaned it the error should be resolved...let me know how it goes

Customer:

I have had the pump completely out of the machine and the impeller is spinning freely. The waste hose had some debris in it but I believe it is clear. What else can inhibit the normal cycle such as spin only or rinse?

Customer:

I will go again and check the pipes are clear. Very sure they are as it rapidly clears any water that I put in the drum first. How does it detect the blocked filter in the first place? Is it to do with a water level detector on the drum?

KevinWhiteJA :

OK it is the black hose from the pump to drum...you have to take that off and clean it completely

Customer:

OK will do that. Just put 10 pints into the drum and it was all gone in about 10 seconds. Back in a while

KevinWhiteJA :

yes then the drain pump might be clean but this waste hose might be blocked with gunk

KevinWhiteJA :

you might need pliers to remove it as it is held on with spring clips

KevinWhiteJA :

let me know how it goes

Customer:

There is a 45mm ball in the top of the pipe, I assume it is supposed to be there????

Customer:

Can't see any way that it could of got there as the outlet is too small for it to get through

KevinWhiteJA :

yes

Customer:

OK, I will put it back in

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

Customer:

Cleaned out the black pipe, there was some debris in there, but not a lot. Ran it again, red light came on. I will take it apart again and make absolutely sure

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

Customer:

No joy, cleaned out both the pipes again, reverse flushed the long grey one. Checked the filter was empty. Tried it on 2 programmes but is simply won't recognise when to stop pumping and move on to the next function. How does it detect when the filter is blocked in the first place?

Customer:

Red light came on on both attempts

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, usually it starts working after cleaning

KevinWhiteJA :

as it is not working the problem can be with the pressure switch

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

you can take the top off

KevinWhiteJA :

towards the left you will see this pressure switch with a thin hose attached to it...take that hose off and blow through it... then place everything back and check if it works

Customer:

Ok, will try that

KevinWhiteJA :

let me know how it goes

Customer:

BINGO

KevinWhiteJA :

:)

Customer:

Initial resistance then it popped clear. Just started a rinse and spin cycle. It ran the pump for about 10s and then started filling with water and spinning. Many thanks for your help. I least I know the pipes are clean!!!

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome...you can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance

Customer:

Ok, time to go and watch the Rugby

Customer:

Clive

KevinWhiteJA :

Have a great weekend Clive

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't forget to leave a rating as that is the only way I receive credit for the assistance that I have provided today...Thanks :)