Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We manufacture locks and I need to test my products

Customer Question

We manufacture locks for gates and I need to test my products to -40 degrees C. Will a domestic freezer go this low if I add insulation around it to keep the cold in? Any suggestion on a small freezer about 600mm cubic which will do this?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

In answer to your question, no freezer will go down to anywhere near this temperature, the maximum you might get is somewhere about -25C. Its not about the insulation, its to do with the boiling off point of the refrigerant in use which is between -16 to -25C depending on refrigerant. It just wont work to that low temperature. Would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below. ~ Ian