Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

have a greenstar camray 25/32. Not kicking in when heat demanded.Low

have a greenstar camray 25/32. Not kicking in when heat demanded.Low system pressure when happened.Pressure restored. internal expansion vessel full, should it be ? airlock. Help appreciated.Marck
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
***** ***** : Can you confirm what the expansion vessel is full of?
Customer:

just heavy, used to be empty, assume it is water ?

***** ***** : The expansion vessel should have water and a balloon inside
***** ***** : The balloon acts as a cushion of air against the expansion of the water when heated
***** ***** : Has the boiler overheated and just needs resetting?
Customer:

I understand, just seems a lot heavier than before, almost full.

Customer:

have reset it before, but no change

***** ***** : If there was a problem with the expansion vessel then the PRV would discharge every heat cycle
***** ***** : Has the PRV been discharging?
Customer:

boiler kicks in when boiler pump switched on manually and heats water fine, but pump/boiler do not kick in when heat demanded by heat store.temp drops below setpoint

Customer:

what do you mean by that?

***** ***** : Did you lose your pressuer outside or do you have a leak?
Customer:

is taht the automatic vent on top of cylinder?, that often splutters a bit

***** ***** : No, a discharge pipe outside - a 15mm copper pipe through the wall?
Customer:

runs straight into drain, not noticed it discharging

Customer:

last topped it up 3 months ago, no loss of pressure since then

***** ***** : ok, thats good then
***** ***** : How do you turn on the pump manually?
Customer:

have a control panel that regulates heating input from solar panels as well. Allows me to switch boiler pump on.

***** ***** : Ok, the motorised valve opens which the fires the boiler - is it in the airing cupboard?
Customer:

no, next to boiler

***** ***** : When you turn the heating on only does the valve move at all?
Customer:

valves are controlled separately. boiler responds (or should do) to drop in temperature in heat store, not heating demand in house.

Customer:

if there is an airlock, how could taht be released, or should the automatic vent at the top heat store deal with that

***** ***** : The auto airvent should sort that and also you can bleed the pump
Customer:

is that straightforward ?

***** ***** : Just the screw in the centre, if you slacken it and put a bowl under then run it for 10 minutes it will let the air out
***** ***** : I thought your boiler had overheated, but if that was the case then it would not fire at all, but you can make the boiler fire by turning the pump on
***** ***** : It is pointing to a fault with the thermal store thermistor not calling for heat
Customer:

thank you for your time an deffort

Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Gas cooker specialist