Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Having trouble as expected fixing fridge door to unit door

Customer Question

Having trouble as expected fixing fridge door to unit door and getting it to close - have adjusted 3 times and still fridge door won't close when attached to the unit door. It has the bracket that fits to the top of the door (rather than a sliding one) so I guess it has to be in exactly the right place but how to work that out?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Michael :

Hi may I have the full model #?

Michael :

Also how old is your fridge?

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

The fridge freezer is brand new but the cabinets are Magnet a over 10 yrs old. However Magnet advised that this model would be compatible with our cabinet. Model is I think one of 923801757/R13405

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

Sorry its just a tall fridge not a fridge freezer

Michael :

thank you

Michael :

this one should work, make sure the hinges are on correctly

Michael :

also that you align the door level very important or it wont align correctly ;-)

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

hinges are fine as the door closes fine when not attached to the cabinet door

Michael :

its good to have hep doing his and some wook blocks or even books under the door to hold it will help you do this easier.

Michael :

so its the exterior that you have this problem with?

Michael :

just the finished door cover?

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

Yes when the exterior is attached the fridge door wont close. It seems to me that as the door closes the bracket is aligned until half closed then it stops it moving any fiurther

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

So its all about the positioning of the fridge and also is there a best position to align the bracket eg when wide open /half open?

Michael :

it is best to and easier with the door half open

Michael :

in most instances as long as you have the room to work

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

the fit is so snug that there is little scope to adjust fridge position left right onlt back forward

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

the cabinets have those hinges that protrude and get in the way of lateral movement - so badly dsigned

Michael :

I would be weary about that as this sounds really like the wrong set up

Michael :

fr sure

Michael :

for

Michael :

there should be some room

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

at sides of fridge?

Michael :

in all the ones I have installed there was plenty of space and easy to do relatively speaking

Michael :

yes at the sides so you can adjust things slightly as nothing is perfect;-)

Michael :

lol

Michael :

thank you so much for your patience

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

yes thats what I was worried about - that even though Magnet recommended it, it doesnt actually fit

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

i'm wondering if one of the sliding fixings (which i assume have more margin for error?) could be attached - the one fixed to the top of the door allows no latitude at all it seems to me - so if the hinge is stoppingme getting it in the right spot it wont close properly?

Michael :

Hi lol, thats why I mentioned to check the hinges ;-)

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

yes but I mean the cabinet hinges they stick out1-2cm each side and limit the scope to adjust position of the fridge

Michael :

I understand

Michael :

this may be an error by the person who sold that to you

JACUSTOMER-ymwqx6ud- :

I get the impression you are as stumped as me so I will speak to Magnet re getting an installer tp have a look

Michael :

if the hinges are not the issue with being in the wrong location you will need to contact them to explain the situation.

Michael :

well this sould fit

Michael :

should

Michael :

sorry for the typos

Michael :

this one you are speaking of should align and attach easily,its one of the more simple designs even though its not the best design lol

Michael :

I must have installed at least 40 door panels over the yearsand this really is sounding like an incorrect hardware pack or door

Michael :

panel

Michael :

are you still here?

Michael :

I'm here when you need me, I wish I could be there to help you further once you rate I will set us up as Q & A you can then still contact me anytime for additional help no further cost. please rate kindly before you close and have a great weekend!