Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Model SD13J1S dishwasher - the water is not coming in to the

Model SD13J1S dishwasher - the water is not coming in to the dishwasher but the pump (?) still runs. Can't see any obvious blockages, any suggestions?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

When you switch it on having set the program does the pump continue to run and then the appliance shuts down, is there any error codes or flashing/illuminated led on the control panel?

Customer:

The pump just keeps running and there is nothing on the panel that indicates something is wrong (I assume that you're talking about the panel at the top of the door?)

Dales-Electronic :

OK how handy are you with a screwdriver ?

Customer:

Well my husband's at home!! What do you suggest?

Dales-Electronic :

OK you will need to take off the top and sides and get access to the base of the appliance ~ you will need a Torx screwdriver to do this ~ first hurdle is screwdriver, have you got any Torx ones?

Customer:

Yes. I can unscrew the four screws in front but I don't know how to move the rest of the unit

Dales-Electronic :

Is it a built in unit to save me looking it up?

Customer:

Yes

Dales-Electronic :

OK this is your problem, the base of the appliance (ie the bit under the wash tub) has water in it, there is a sensor (float switch) that switches off all actions but that of the drain pump. Your husband will have to move the dishwasher out of its cupboard and remove the sides to get to the flooded area and mop out the water (power off please) once this is done you should test the appliance out of the wooden enclosure to ensure that it works and then see if it runs through the program ~ Ian

Customer:

OK, thanks (he was very pleased to hear that....!). Any particular advice for removing integrated units like this?

Dales-Electronic :

Turn off water and electric, then remove kick strip across front of appliance, then remove the fixing screws, depending on model can be screwed to worktop (from underneath) or through side panels behind rubber bungs. Once this is done wind down the feet, front and back and gently (with great care) pull forward. If you are lucky the fitters will have given you enough room to get it out of the unit without disconnecting water, drain pipe and electric. If not you will have to disconnect and then remove the appliance. Next remove the side panels and check for a flooded base. Take your time and you wont break anything ~ Ian

Customer:

This is a stupid question but how do you wind down the feet with so much weight on top of it?

Dales-Electronic :

These dishwashers aren't heavy, you can slightly loosen the feet with the retaining screws left in but to remove the appliance you must reduce its height to allow it to be removed. It is designed to have its feet lowered and raised for this purpose ~ Ian

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** is starting to come out now

Customer:

Is there a reason for this problem occurring (ie could it have been avoided)?

Dales-Electronic :

It can be a number of things, the door opened when it was still in operation, a leak from one of the water inlet or outlet pipes or a blockage somewhere in the system. This is why I have asked you to run it whilst it is out to see if you can see any leaks during its operation.

Customer:

Understood, thanks. Oddly enough we were having a discussion about why you shouldn't open the door mid-cycle the other day (I have been known to do that), guess we know why now! We are still having problems getting the unit out but we are making progress......

Dales-Electronic :

Just take it easy, Im around for the rest of the night so fire away with any questions as you are moving forward, its much better to take time and not break anything ~ Ive been in the business 25+ years and broken too many legs/feet in that time trying to hurry the job !!

Customer:

Well there have been a few worrying noises but it is free now (one of the feet was a bit stubborn)

Dales-Electronic :

OK have you managed to get the sides off yet? Any water in the base?

Customer:

Yes, but we couldn't see where the water was from either side. Whatever happened it all seemed to spill out during the process anyway and it seems to be running through its programme now

Customer:

The dishwasher is running, that is!

Customer:

No obvious leakage but hard to tell with the water on the floor already, I have been mopping it up

Customer:

Cycle has just finished and it is beeping as normal. Should we put it back now (another potentially stupid question)?

Dales-Electronic :

OK let it go through the cycle and make sure that it completes then check to see if you have any further water in the base, if so you will need to find the leak and rectify it. it may be that it has taken a long time for enough water to fill the base that you will not have the same problem again. If however you do find more water, find the leak fix it and you are good to go ~ would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, once done this allows you to ask any further questions free of charge. hope all is good with the appliance now, if not come back to me ~ have a great weekend free from washing up ~ Ian

Customer:

Base seems to be dry although it was difficult to see (I put kitchen roll in and it didn't appear to absorb excessive moisture).

Dales-Electronic :

OK well stick in on the hottest wash and see if it goes through to the end, then come back on here with the results ~ Ian

Customer:

OK, will do. Takes about an hour (I think, we don't use it often), will let you know how we get on

Dales-Electronic :

OK I'm around

Customer:

Put it on the hottest wash and there seems to be a bit of leakage on one side but it ran through the cycle. Running it through a normal cycle now and keeping an eye on it

Dales-Electronic :

OK well at least we know that all the components work ~ you need to isolate the leak, sort it out and this will stop the float switch being operated. Once this is done you are up and running ~ so find the leak, bung it up and go go go ~ Ian

Customer:

What is the best way to find the leak? We could't get much access after taking the side panels off

Dales-Electronic :

You need to run the program and with a torch shine it in until you can spot where the water is leaking and then sort it out, not easy sometimes better to stand it on a box or workmate whilst you are looking for the leak.

Customer:

I can think of a few workmates I'd like to place under a leaking dishwasher!! Thank you very much for your help Ian, really appreciate it. Have a good rest of weekend