George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Dishwasher starts then on off is illuminated wash and dry are

Customer Question

Dishwasher starts then on off is illuminated wash and dry are flashing - help
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you provide the model number of the appliance please

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

BEKO DL1243APW

George-Allsorts :

Thank you for that.. One moment whist I get the details of this appliance please

George-Allsorts :

Ok, thank you for waiting.. I have now got the documents in front of me for this appliance...

Can you describe to me exactly what is happening from starting the program of your appliance please

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

I select the program number, i.e. 3. Press start, nothing happens. hold start button in, water can be heard entering the machine, it starts whirring, then the "wash and Dry" buttons are flashing. Machine stops.

George-Allsorts :

Does the END light illuminate at this time

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

no you can see it, but this may just be a reflection of the buttons above. It is not flashing.

George-Allsorts :

Move the program selection knob to position 2 when the machine is turned off.
Press the Start/Pause button.
Press On/Off button while keeping the Start/Pause button pressed to turn the machine on. Do not release the Start/Pause button until all of the indicators light up.
Release the Start/Pause button.
Previously detected errors within the memory of the control system the errors will be shown on the progress indicator lights.

Once you have done this tell me which lights are lit.

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

Right did this and the top two buttons illuminated then went off. Machine is doing nothing now. Still switched on.

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

just the on off is lit

George-Allsorts :

Is there water still in the dishwasher?

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

no

George-Allsorts :

Then whilst still in the position following my instruction, can you press start

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

ooh making all the right noises

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

it is filling

George-Allsorts :

It is doing a test.. If it finds a fault then it will stop and some lights will light up

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

Stopped and the On off, Wash Dry are flashing

George-Allsorts :

At what point during the following sequence did the appliance stop?

1. Draining starts
2. Water inlet 4.0 liters
3. Water circulation, heating and detergent dispensing 60 seconds
4. Water circulation and heating 120 seconds
5. Draining 30 seconds
6. Regenerating 60 seconds
7. Water inlet and draining 3.0 liters
8. Draining 30 seconds

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

The detergent drawer is open, but there is a small amount of water at the bottom of the machine, so probably between 3 and 5

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

it didn't go for very long

George-Allsorts :

One moment please

George-Allsorts :

Just try something for me... Switch the appliance off at the wall, then tilt it backwards to 45 degs to see if any water comes from the rear of the appliance

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

no water came out of the back

George-Allsorts :

Ok, thanks for ruling that out... In this case I'm going to assume that you have a problem with the heating system of the appliance.. This since you have draining, water inlet with no fault, water distribution, and then detergent distribution..

It is possible for you to test the circuit of the heater with a multimeter, but not the insulation.

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

oo er stoopid woman here, don't even know what you just said ha ha

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

multimeter?

George-Allsorts :

Ahh.. Would you like me to suggest an engineer to call?

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

no that would be an expense too far. just thought it might be something simple. if it is the heating then I would have to pay for engineers visit plus the part and fitting - might as well get a new machine!

George-Allsorts :

I am sorry to hear this, but do understand.

May I then suggest that if you are wishing to discard the appliance that you use Findmyrecycler to see if there is a local refurbisher that will collect if for eco friendly recycling or refurbishment

-----------------------------------
Please take a moment to rate my assistance.. Please use the smiley faces to do this.

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

Thank you so much for your help

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

done and thankyou

JACUSTOMER-ddec3wbn- :

Susie

George-Allsorts :

Thank you Susie

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair