George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My tall Bosch wine cooler is freezing up with temperatures

Customer Question

My tall Bosch wine cooler is freezing up with temperatures between -5 and +5. Bosch engineer tells me there is no 'repair pack' as the thermostat is built in to the insulation, so it can't be fixed. Does this seem a) to be the cause of the fault and b) isn't this a design problem? Any advice before I throw this £600 appliance out as a very expensive mistakhttp://www.justanswer.co.uk/loc/en/img/buttons/get_answer_on.gife?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you supply the Enr and FD from the data label on the appliance please

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

JACUSTOMER-d9ch62j1- :

Sorry for delay, had to get someone to get down to read nos. FD8708, ENR KSW30V80GB/01

George-Allsorts :

Thanks for getting that information... Please wait a few minutes whilst I access the notes and diagrams for this appliance

George-Allsorts :

Ok, having looked at the diagrams I can see that this version is the type with the board at the rear of the appliance inside a cover.. Are you capable of using a multimeter?

George-Allsorts :

If so then we can test the sensor to see if it is working correctly; if it is, then there is a likelihood that the problem lies within the electronics of the board

George-Allsorts :

I would not describe this problem as a known design fault

JACUSTOMER-d9ch62j1- :

We do have a multimeter and my husband can check this if you explain what he needs to do.

George-Allsorts :

Turning the cooler off; the panel at the rear will need to be removed to access the board... Once the board has been accessed, measure the reading from the sensor attached to it.. At the same time measure the temperature inside the appliance..Then, after the cooler is at room temperature do both readings again.

-----------------------------------
At this point, please take a moment to rate my assistance.. Please use the smiley faces to do this.

George-Allsorts :

Once you have the readings & temperatures, please let me know what they are

JACUSTOMER-d9ch62j1- :

Thanks George, will do. Also I've just tried to alter the settings button at the top of the door and it is now stuck on 1.

JACUSTOMER-d9ch62j1- :

How do I get back to you.

George-Allsorts :

Once rated, you can return to this thread buy going to 'My Questions' or using the link in the email sent to you by Just Answer

JACUSTOMER-d9ch62j1- :

Thanks George, our son is an electrician ( tho' not an appliance expert)so we're going to get him to do this tomorrow then will come back to you with results to get your diagnosis. If it is the board, can that be replaced and would it be a cost-effective repair?

George-Allsorts :

I'm afraid that the question you have asked is relative to the determination of each individual... The board is replaceable, however at a cost of just above £120..

Depending on what the findings are, there may be a repair option available, but we will need to research this afterwards

JACUSTOMER-d9ch62j1- :

Thanks, ***** ***** that in mind once fault has been identified.

George-Allsorts :

-----------------------------------
Can I ask you to take a moment to rate my responses to you so far... Using the smiley faces which you should now see, please rate how happy you are with my attempts to assist you..
Please remember when doing so, you are rating the time I have afforded to you and perciverance in assisting you with your problem.

JACUSTOMER-d9ch62j1- :

Have done.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay, we've been away. Son has removed panel at rear and accessed the board but says without a wiring diagram he can't tell which CN plug he needs to use, and asked what first reading should be. Hope that makes sense. Settings button on door is working.

Ask hime to take a picture of the board and its connections so that I can see if I can assist him
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will do, he's not here just now so will come back to you later. Many thanks.

Ok thank you