Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Dose anyone know what E4 means on my Rangemaster Induction

Customer Question

Dose anyone know what E4 means on my Rangemaster Induction Classic 90.
I had a service eng out who told me that one of my rings were gone & I also needed a new control panel. Total cost €300.00 He tried resetting my hob but said I needed these parts first. I went to use the hob last night as I had 3 rings working before he called & now all rings are flashing E4 & I have no rings working. Help please
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Is this just a hob or a stove?
Has he now ordered the parts?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is a range cooker.

No I have not given him the ok to order parts.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Therese

OK
This is listed as a "Communications error"

This basically means one of the boards is not able to "talk" to another.

From experience I would say that this is likley to be the main board/panel, as I have seen a few of these go.

It could also have been the wiring, but Im sure that he would have tested that on his visit

Sorry its not great news, but it does confirm what you already knew

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rob,

So are you saying that its not a element gone in one of my rings as he said but is the board that he was also talking about ?

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Therese

I can only really go by the error code, which I explained above.
It may well be the element has failed and that this has damaged the control board.
The only real way to know that is to actually test the element itself. There is no way for me to know, at a distance, if that is the case.

If he tested the element and he says it has failed, I see no reason to disbelieve him, given that he seems to have diagnosed the E4 code correctly

Please dont forget to rate as this is the only way I get credit for spending my time helping you with this

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No he did not text the element. He just looked at the code on the hob.

How can my husband test the element

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Because this is an induction hob, you would need specialist equipment to be able to test the element.

Before the engineer came, did one of the elements fail?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No all elements were working one element used to come on by itself if you left something on it at a low 1/2 heat. Then the element in front of that started the same thing about a week ago. But both rings were still usable. Now the second ring shows a E4 fault & it wont work.

When the repair man came all he did was try to reconfigure the rings through the programming mode & did not test anything.

Thats why I am asking the question as he came to a result very quickly without testing

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Therese

To be fair to the guy, with these complex electronic induction hobs, the answer is generally in the error code.

With experience, which is what you are really paying for in a home visit, he has the knowledge and hands on experience, to know that this is going to be the fault.
Indeed, even at a distance, I told you pretty much the same thing.

I dont know why he told you about the element, so I really cant comment.

These are very expensive to repair, so the cost seems about right.

I would suggest that if you want it repaired, you ask him to test the element when he comes back. If it is OK, Im sure he wont fit, thus reducing the cost slightly

Is there anything else I can help you with?
Rob