George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Sadia immersion heater (probably circa 1976). Everything

I have a Sadia immersion heater (probably circa 1976). Everything seems to be working normally, but over the last week or so I have noticed that the temperature of the hot water is lower than expected. The thermostat is set to 140 degrees F ( as it has been for the last 7 years since we moved in). When the power comes on (timed) the water starts to heat, but cuts out at around 110 degrees F. We don't use very much hot water from this source - perhaps a washing up bowl a day and a little for hand washing. Is it possible for the element to have become bunged up with scale? Even if this is the case, should I be changing the element anyway, particularly if it needs to come out for cleaning.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** fault that you are having is more likely to do with the thermostat becoming faulty and needing replacement.

For safety reasons, I advise that replacement and re-testing of the thermostat, or element changes / cleaning is done by a plumber or other technically proficient person who has knowledge of the workings of the system and system pressures

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer:

Thanks for this. I will get it all checked out.