Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I need a wiring diagram GE fridge THermostat - GE 2DE

Customer Question

I need a wiring diagram for a GE fridge THermostat - GE 2DE - WR09X20002 - as the door light is wired incorrectly to the thermostat.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic : Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries
Dales-Electronic :

There are two versions of this thermostat, one with tags 3,4 & 6 the other with 1,2 & 3, which one do you have?

Customer :

The Thermostat is a GE and is stamped 3ART 229A87. The tags are marked 4, 6, 8 and 3 (there is also an earth) but there are only 3 actual tags.

Customer :

Tag 4 - brown

Customer :

The Thermostat is a GE and stamped 3 ART 229A87.

Customer :

There are three tags :

Customer :

No 4 - Black

Customer :

Nos 6/8 - Brown

Customer :

No 3 - Purple.

Customer :

When the motr I running then all three are live.

Customer :

When the motor is not running, only 4/Brown is live. (I sai above that 4 is brown but that was a mstake and is black but I could not correct it)

Customer :

I believe the GE Thermostat is called a "2DE" and I think it is part WR 09X2002.

Customer :

I don't have the wiring diagram for the part.

Dales-Electronic :

OK can you tell me the pnc or product code and what type of thermostat was fitted originally ? ~ Ian

Customer :

Sorry - no as it was thrown away

Full Size Image

Dales-Electronic :

OK are you able and happy to do some electrical tests for me and we can work it out another way ~ can you work out which of the wires will be either brown or black is the main power input ~ do you have a multimeter?

Customer :

I have an electrical screwdriver tester to check which tags are live.

Customer :

When the mptor is running (ie the Thermosta is ON) then all three are live.

Customer :

When the thermostat is off then only the black is live.

Customer :

What would you like me to check?

Dales-Electronic :

OK switch off the electric, note which of the wires goes to which terminal on the thermostat and then remove them from the thermostat ~ once this is done and ensuring that there is no way that any can short out put the power back on. Check that you have power only to the black wire?

Customer :

OK done that. Only the black is LIVE

Dales-Electronic :

Whilst you have the thermostat disconnected and with the spindle end down, check that you have terminal numbers as follows 6 = centre terminal 4 = left of 6 3 = right of 6 ??

Customer :

6/8 is the centre terminal. 4 is on the left and 3 on the right

Dales-Electronic :

OK power off now please and connect the black wire to terminal 6 and the brown wire to terminal 4 and then power on and confirm that the motor is running ?

Dales-Electronic :

Keep the purple wire off just for the moment

Customer :

Sorry - I have to go to the other end of the house! Done that. Yes motor is running.

Dales-Electronic :

OK power off, reconnect purple to terminal 3 and you should be in business, you had the mains in cable on the wrong terminal that was feeding power back through to the other two connectors, it should be switching as required now. Would you kindly now rate my service using the smiley faces below, this allows you to come back to me if needed with any further questions/queries. ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Once rated all future questions are on a free of charge basis - Ian

Customer :

Ian - done that and the door light seems OK whilst the motor is running. I will just need to double check the door light still works when the motor is NOT running - which I cant do until the fridge cools down again and the thermostat cut out..

Dales-Electronic :

OK I look forward to the results ~ Ian

Customer :

Ian

Customer :

It looks like that has fixed it! Many thanks.

Customer :

Peter

OK Peter, if you need further help give me a ping ~ Ian