Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

aga electric the aga seems to bypass the timer ,and ever

Customer Question

aga electric hi the aga seems to bypass the timer ,and ever now and again it trips the main fuse board .I have replaced the timer regards ***** ***** it is a 30amp model
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Could you give me the model and serial numbers please ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

What type of timer is it, the standard or the AIMS one?

JACUSTOMER-l886ja3s- :

hi ian the aga is at my other house so I am tele phoning the person at the address .the lady is looking now . the timer is standard.the aga is a30amp one that charges at night but it does not take any notice of the timer .and it olso gets hot very fast so we switch it off

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you can let me have the model I will have a look at the diagrams and let you have an answer, it seems like there is a thermal control problem but once I have further info I can look further ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-l886ja3s- :

hi ian the problem first started with a loud clicking noise when it was charging through the night . then it seemed to be alright for a couple of weeks . then it started to trip the fuse board 3or 4 times a day . when I switched the Aga off ,no problem with the electric tripping .then when I switch it back on, it does not trip the elec straight away ,maybe in about 2 to 3 hrs, but it heats up the Aga but the red charging light does not come on ,as it did before the problem . Could you please tell me where to look for the model and serial number regards jim

Dales-Electronic :

Behind the plinth cover at the bottom of the oven

JACUSTOMER-l886ja3s- :

The electric Aga doesn't have a plinth cover , it sits on fire bricks ,solid front cover

Dales-Electronic :

Well according to Aga it has but it not there it is on the handbook or if the Aga has a bottom draw it is inside this area.

JACUSTOMER-l886ja3s- :

Hi Ian this is a 2 oven 30amp Aga ec7 ( night storage ) we can't find any serial numbers , picture of it on Aga website

JACUSTOMER-l886ja3s- :

its a traditional cast iron range cooker

Dales-Electronic :

OK as you will be aware there are fuses on the Aga main board are you referring to these or the domestic house electric fuse box ?

JACUSTOMER-l886ja3s- :

HI IAN THE DOMESTIC HOUSE FUSE BOX

JACUSTOMER-l886ja3s- :

HI IAN THE WIRE FOR THE AGA COMES FROM THE FUSE BOX DOMESTIC .IT HAS ITS OWN FUSE.IN THE FUSE BOX , TO A COOKER SWITCH BOX THEN TO THE AGA . THE WIRE IS A COOKER WIRE 30AMP THE TIMER IS ON A RING MAIN SEPERATE TO THE AGA IT SEEMS THAT IT IS GETTING TO MUTCH ELECTRIC IF THAT IS POSSIBLE

Dales-Electronic :

Can you confirm that it is the Timer circuit that is tripping rather that the 30 amp supply?

JACUSTOMER-l886ja3s- :

no it is the cooker supply .when we turn off the cooker switch it does not trip the fuse board . the timer circuit is on all the time no problem .the problem seems to be the aga itself . could be the regulater box or the or the circuit board in the aga itself . jim

Dales-Electronic :

The clicking is almost sure to be a relay chattering but without the specific model number and serial number it is difficult for me to get the wiring diagrams ~ EC7 does not come up on the Aga technical website as being a recognized model number - could you kindly give me more information ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

The City 60 seems to work in a totally different way.

Dales-Electronic :

I have spoken to my college at Aga, they are unable to help without a specific model number ~ there are 5 different models in this electric range all that work differently. Please supply model number and serial number so that we can help you further.