Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I am searching fan De Dietrich Fridge Freezer

Customer Question

I am searching for a fan for my De Dietrich Fridge Freezer Model Number UN 2597U1. I have been informed that the part is not available any more. Could you advise please where I might source this part as the fridge freezer is in perfect order and relatively new apart from the noise the fan motor makes.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Do you require the one within the cabinet or the one in the compressor housing area?

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

Hi Ian I am waiting for the engineer who will install it to respond to this query

Dales-Electronic :

OK ~ so why have you asked for assistance to source one?

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

A guy called to my house this morning to install a part I had ordered from espares.uk

Dales-Electronic :

OK do you need me to close down this information request then? Or are you looking for further assistance?

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

He said it was the wrong part. Espares. uk showed a picture of another part that is now obsolete. Now I don't have this picture and I don't have the expertise myself to answer your question about within the cabinet or in the compressor housing area. I am waiting for a call back from the guy who will install it. I am in Ireland and I cannot source the part here so I am trying the UK.

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

Maybe you should close down this information request if your time is limited. Will my money be refunded or can I use the fee I have paid to make another information request.

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you can find out whether it is an evaporator fan or a condenser fan then I can try and source you one, have you got the part number of the one supplied that might help ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

It says Cust PN(which I presume is part number) WR60X0269

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

Assembled in USA ECM Motor

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

There are also other numbers on the side - do you require these?

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

There is a number 5SME44AG1902A Morrill Motors ECM Motor

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

On the side of the box from espares is Catalogue Number

Dales-Electronic :

I need the part number that is on the invoice from espares, the ones you have given me are the manufacture of the motors but not those of dedietrich x

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

BNT45X9522 Fanmotor

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

Give me a minute to look that up

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

Is this it?1 x Fridge Freezer Fan Motor ES1579601

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

would the correct one be ES1579600?

Dales-Electronic :

That's fine its a brandt part number BNT = Brandt, hang on and ill check it ~~ that is the evaporator motor that is inside the unit, where is the noise coming from inside of the cabinet or outside?

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

outside at the back

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

my husband said to tell you it is going non-stop like a tractor!

Dales-Electronic :

OK that is the condenser fan that you want, let me see if I can source this for you

Dales-Electronic :

OK espares don't have any in stock and nor do any of the other UK distributors, if you can leave it with me I have two further companies that keep DD spares but they are closed from 1300-1400 for lunch so with catch them later. The one you have been supplied by espares should now be returned for a full refund ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

OK I will return the one to espares. I will check in later with you after lunch to see if you have any leads.

Dales-Electronic :

OK speak to you later

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

Back again - any update?

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

JACUSTOMER-zint7axy- :

Perhaps you will reply tomorrow, Thursday?

Dales-Electronic :

OK it seems that all suppliers list this part as obsolete and no longer available, however, there are universal fan assemblies that can me made to fit if required. At the end of the day it is only a 220/240v motor with a fan blade on the end of it ~ would you like further information about these? ~ Ian

Customer :

Yes I would. It did occur to me that the part could be made up by someone electronically able. I presume the individual would know exactly what to do and that I would be guaranteed it would work. I presume the item would be guaranteed to work. I would consider ordering 2 such fans to avoid any similar difficulties in the future, depending on price, as there is absolutely nothing else wrong with my fridge/freezer.

Dales-Electronic :

Can you give me a photo of the fan in situ together with the shaft diameter and length and I will see what we can find that will do the job ~ Ian

Customer :

My husband is about to leave for work. I can give you this information this evening when he returns. Will you be OK getting this information later today or tomorrow morning?

Dales-Electronic :

That is fine, there is no rush, just ping me when you are ready to go, your call will automatically be forwarded to my laptop when you log in ~ Ian

Customer :

OK I will log out now for the moment. Thank you for your efforts so far and have a good day.

Dales-Electronic :

No worries speak to you later ~ you too.

Customer :

I think I have uploaded some photos but I am not sure if I have not it correctly.The diameter of the shaft is 60mm. The length of the shaft is 90 mm. If the photos have not come through could you give me an email address to which I can send attachments.

Dales-Electronic :

If you send them to dales.electronic(at)btopenworld.com and kindly check the measurements 60mm is two and a half inches 90mm nearly three and a half.

Customer :

Yes the measurements in inches are correct. I will send the pictures now to the email address you gave me. Please confirm when you have received them.

Dales-Electronic :

OK got them, we may be OK as DeDietrich has some fridges made by an American Company called Maytag and as this motor is made in the US things are looking better ~ leave it with me ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

type ~ had some ~

Dales-Electronic :

OK a serious question here, is your fridge man a fridge engineer (like me) or a fridge fitter? I am still exploring if we can get you a manufacturers original fan assembly but I have found a replacement fan that will do the job and will fit but it will need someone who can modify the fittings ~ this is a universal motor, once fitted you will be able to source it easily should you need a replacement in future ~ Ian

Customer :

Hi Ian. I have spoken to my husband. I would still like you to continue exploring a manufacturers original fan assembly to see what it costs etc. However, my husband says we could locate someone here who could modify the fittings of the universal motor you suggest. What is the cost postage etc of the universal motor? I am interested in both options.

Dales-Electronic :

To explain the modification first, your original motor was fitted to its frame using three screws/bolts the replacement will fit directly into this three leg frame. However the fan itself may need with some filing to it and the motor fan mount to enable it to be fitted, you may need to get a new replacement fan assembly. In this case all you would need is the diameter of the original fan and then replace this for a new one for the new motor which would obviously fit directly. Total cost of the fan is about £30 with if needed likely another £10 for a fan blade if required. All you then need it three screw/bolts to fit the new motor and two connectors for the electrics. This leads me back to the original question, have you got someone that can do this, rather than someone who just changes parts??

Customer :

I will forward this query to my husband and revert to you with the response

Customer :

Hi Ian In the meantime a guy came from my own electrical repair place and tried a Maytag fan and motor but it didn't work. They would only install a modified part if I would sign a disclaimer that they were not responsible. He advised me to pursue the option of the genuine part as far as possible either new or second hand. He put back in my motor but I feel now that I would want to go only for a modified part as a very last resort. I am willing to pay for the genuine part - as you saw when I thought I was getting this form espares.uk

Dales-Electronic :

OK when you say he tried a Maytag fan and it didn't work ~ do you mean he couldn't get it to fit or he couldn't make it work?

Customer :

The fan part was faulty and wouldn't go around quickly. The motor part was OK, I think but it would drive around the fan fast enough. He found it in his shop but they don't specialise in parts. He was adamant it was not right but he did advise to pursue the Maytag option.

Customer :

I think I might have found one on this French website;

Customer :

It says it is in stock

Customer :

http://www.cyberpieces.com/Froid/pieces-ref-americains/ventilateur/15028-ventilateur-de-compresseur-2811000015028.html?utm_source=leguide&utm_medium=comparateur

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me just take you through your position looking at this from the point of view of an engineer. You are talking about a high cost product that if he by fitting it causes a problem will be impossible to replace because there are no parts available. He would then be held liable for the cost of replacing the appliance with a like for like product. This is why he wants a disclaimer.

Dales-Electronic :

Now here is your position, you have a product with a defective (noisy) motor. The part is no longer available and you are not sure that you can get one be it an original or a non genuine new or old. You unless we can together ie You, your engineer or Me come up with a solution have a scrap machine. I have just been into our workshop here where we have two Maytag fridge freezers, both are fitted with three leg motors however both are different manufacturers. There fittings are the same just the motors are different makes. I think if it were me and you were my customer (bearing in mind I'm a fridge engineer) would say, hey what have you got to lose, anything we do has got to be an improvement on what we have got. Could I suggest that you have a word with your husband and later today I will call you and we can discuss together what I think would be the best cause of action for you. Would that suit? ~ Ian

Customer :

Let me consider this for an hour or so.

Dales-Electronic :

Regarding your link, this just takes me to a page with American style fridge freezers not parts.One further question, when you look at the fitted motor are the fan blades next to the compressor (motor) or at the other side of the fan motor ?

Customer :

Does your question relate to looking at the fitted motor on the pictures I sent you of the motor in situ in my fridge? I would have to get my husband to answer that later

Dales-Electronic :

OK lets leave it until later and then perhaps we can have a chat about things ~ here is the link to a motor that you can buy from the Ebay site, it gives you all the specs and the fitting points and when you have both perused it we can talk. The repair is very simple and I would be happy to talk you husband through its exchange process. Once again whilst I understand your electrical guys point he seems to be very cautious about what is in effect only a parts changing job. ~~~ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELCO-5W-5-WATT-FRIDGE-CONDENSOR-FAN-MOTOR-NET5T05ZVN001-VNT-5-13-027-VN-5-13-/141242963429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20e2bc95e5 ~~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

It appears that our conversation has now ended, would you therefore kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, this allows me to close down the job on the system whilst allowing (once done) you further access to my services on a free of charge basis. Thank you for the question and good luck with your repair ~~ Ian

Customer :

Thank you Ian. I have been ill over the weekend and want to postpone our conversation. I have your email address. Thank you for your assistance. I will rate your service and will get back to you via email when and if I am in a position to resume discussion on this issue.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
That is fine, once you are up well again we can pick up where we took off ~ take care ~ Ian