Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Hoover Fridge/FreezerHCA 394PWFK. It is around 12

I have a Hoover Fridge/FreezerHCA 394PWFK. It is around 12 years old. At the moment, the internal temperature of the fridge is around 10 degrees. Every now and then it starts to make a clicking sound and the led panel flashes(simultaneously). If I reduce the demand on it, say by switching off the Pure Water Filter element, or going into the Led Panel Menu it will stop temporarily. I did have a problem recently with the fridge which over cooled and froze my food, but I defrosted it manually and restarted it, and have had no issues with that since. I have a few questions, Is it fixable and what are the most likely causes. Is it worth fixing, ie, would the repair bill be so high, it would make more economic sense to buy new and replace? Factor in that I was told by an engineer 6 years ago, that I would have to manually defrost the fridge freezer every few months, as the freezer workings behind the white panel next to the fan would cover up with ice, causing the freezer part not to freeze food properly.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Customer:

Ok, no problems

Dales-Electronic :

Could you recheck that model number for me, could it be HCA394FKPW NOT PWFK ?? Also can you give me the product code on the label too ~ Ian

Customer:

Yep FK PW is correct

Customer:

I'm trying to find the product code

Customer:

PF37? or 34000060 0310 0287?

Dales-Electronic :

OK this is list of issues, the clicking is a relay on the pcb that is that either is not connecting correctly ie the solder has come off connecting it to the pcb or that an adjacent capacitor used for mains filtering has blown. The main suppliers are listing this board as no longer available or obsolete but there are a number of companies that can repair it or perhaps send you a refurbished one. I assume that the refrigerant in use is R134a, this is no longer used in domestic appliances as such, other than American built products As this is a HCFC most engineers don't repair these products. With regard to the the freezing up of the freezer backplate, this is a common fault with this model usually to do with either the defrost heater or its thermal sensor being faulty.

Dales-Electronic :

So in answer to your question, is it worth doing, well if you can get the parts at a reasonable price then Yes but whichever way you go I wouldn't expect to get much change (if any) out of £150. Rather a matter of ~ do you like it, is it fitted into an alcove and you cant find a suitable replacement and what is its condition? Something to consider ~ would you now kindly rate my service/information to you using the smiley faces below, once done all future questions are on a free of charge basis. Happy Easter to you and Yours ~~ Ian

Customer:

Is that cost for a self repair, or including getting an engineer to install?

Dales-Electronic :

Can you get access to the pcb?

Customer:

Not sure , let me check

Customer:

I cannot find the PCB, so probably would need an engineer to fix.

Dales-Electronic :

OK I understand, would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, this allows you to ask all questions on a free of charge basis but lets me shut down the job on the system. If you need an engineer let me have your postcode and I can recommend one who can help you. ~ Thank you for contacting JA and have a Happy Easter ~~ Ian

Customer:

Sorry Ian, just need to know if that was your estimate based on getting an engineer, then will be happy to rate

Dales-Electronic :

I would expect you to have to pay £45~65 callout depending upon area you live in plus the cost of the part if you can get it. So all in price of between £95 ~ 125 for the completed job. I'm based in Lincolnshire so our repair rate is cheap by comparison to those located in and around London ~ Ian

Customer:

Okay, thanks Ian, I'll have a think about this one, because there are 2 pcbs stated in buyspares, one for PC and another for the Compressor at £156, so may come back to you for an engineer later, if that's how I want to go. Have an happy Easter..Peter.