Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a NEFF fridge/freezer with a water dispenser. Afew

I have a NEFF fridge/freezer with a water dispenser. Afew months ago there was a fault which resulted in the salad drawer icing up. The engineer took out some panels low down and removed ice from the coils with a hair dryer. Since then the ice maker does not seem to switch off automatically and there are noises which sound like an air lock which are gradually getting longer in time. I have tried switching of the ice and the IWD but the noise still persists.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Would you kindly give me the full ENr of this appliance, located on the rating plate ~ Ian

Customer: K5930D0GB02
Customer: FD8912
Dales-Electronic :

OK can you tell me if the noise stops when you open the appliance doors?

Customer: No the noise continues for about 10 seconds
Dales-Electronic :

OK do you mean that after opening the door the noise continues for about 10 seconds and then stops, if so does it restart when you close the door again?

Customer: No the noise is there whether the door is open or closed. It seems to be coming from the right hand (fridge) compartment towards the bottom. The noise seems to be random in timing but I would say every 10 to 15 minutes.
Dales-Electronic :

OK can you confirm that the appliance is maintaining the correct temperatures in both fridge and freezer?

Customer: Yes I can confirm that, the only thing is it is overproducing ice.
Dales-Electronic :

OK from what you state we have two problems, one is the overproduction of ice, the second is a noise from within the fridge ~ is that correct?

Customer: Freezer set to -18 freshbox and fridge set to 04
Customer: Correct
Dales-Electronic :

OK well the icemaker is a complete unit for this American style and is supplied as a complete assembly priced at £440 retail ie its a take out and replace with a new one not a component repair unit. You need to be using a lot of ice to recoup that !

Dales-Electronic :

Now to move to the fridge side, is there any build up of ice behind the salad draw as before?

Customer: The food that was in the salad draw was freezing before the previous fault was fixed. This is not happening now. It is not possible to see if there is any build up of ice because this was only seen when the engineer took off the white plastc cover revealing the coils.
Customer: For information, if I take out the water filter and drain it and then replace the filter, the noise is modified whilst water is dispensed until the low pressure builds to normal, but then the noise returns. I feel convinced this is some sort of air in the system.
Dales-Electronic :

OK so the fault in your view is in the water dispensing system, does the sound seem like water running or leaking?

Customer: No the sound seems like a grinding or bubbling lasts for about 10 seconds and has happened 5 times in the last 40 minutes.
Dales-Electronic :

OK can you tell me is it happening around the time that the motor starts and/or stops? ie the compressor has just started up or has just finished running?

Customer: I don't think so, I will check and come back to you shortly.
Customer: O.K. there is no coincidence with the motor start up or stop.
Customer: Another thought....is there some sort of valve or solenoid that could be sticking. The sound is a little like a switch turning slowly
Dales-Electronic :

OK well if all is working and the only problem you have with the appliance is that described I would suggest you have a slight air leak in either the water cooler in the fridge or in the pipes that supply it or feed it to the dispenser. The only time that this is pressurised is when you ask for chilled water at the water outlet so can draw in air when not in use and force it out when being used.

Customer: I think that sounds quite possible, would you suggest live with it?
Customer: Presumably those pipes also feed the ice making machine which could cause problems with the automatic switch off of ice.
Dales-Electronic :

Usually you have a two outlet valve connected at one side by the water supply. Each of the two outlets feed water to either the chilled water or ice maker ie there are two different routes for the water, one directly into the icemaker the other via the fridge where it is chilled and then to the water dispenser. The ice maker is fully automatic the chilled water by manual switch. I don't think the two are connected ~ it may be that on removing the chiller in the fridge the engineer caused one of the seams to split slightly, not enough to leak but enough to let any air out/in. If it were me I would live with it. The cost for the icemaker is just too high to replace ~ would you know kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, this allows me to close down the job but at the same time once done give you free access to further questions if needed ~ Ian

Customer: Thanks Ian, I will rate your service now.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.