George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

We are getting ice build up in the bottom shelf of our fridge\freezer.

Customer Question

We chip it out each morning, otherwise it becomes very thick.
The fridge and freezer work well apart from this problem. Is there anything that we can do?
With thanks, Margaret.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello Margaret, my name is***** you tell me the Enr and FD from the label in the fridge please... The label will be either at the side of the salad bowl or behind it

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

JACUSTOMER-35t20om5- :

E-NR KGN33V60GB 96

JACUSTOMER-35t20om5- :

FD8701

JACUSTOMER-35t20om5- :

GmbH

George-Allsorts :

Ok thanks for the info.. I'll be back in a few moments

George-Allsorts :

Hello again Margaret.. Sorry for taking so much time then, but I had to find the information on your appliance so that I could determine which design you have...

The issue I would say that is causing this is that the drain will be blocked in the fridge.

George-Allsorts :

If you look at the rear panel of the fridge, there is a ridge that collects the condensation... in the center of this is a hole that leads all the way down to the compressor... That hole will be blocked, causing the water to then overflow into the fridge and causing it to collec at the bottom shelf

George-Allsorts :

When the appliance then comes out of defrost mode it is freezing the water that has collected there

George-Allsorts :

Can you check the hole and to unblock it use something like a pipecleaner or something similar, then pour some hwarm kettle water down the hole to ensure it is unblocked

George-Allsorts :

You may need to remove the cover from the rear panel in order to do this

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to thank George-Allsorts for his help with my problem on April 6th.

Unfortunately our Fridge Freezer has a side wall to box it in so we have no access to the back. However, we managed to move it out and could not locate the hole or panel. We have a good friend coming to help us

and we should be able to find the appropriate rear panel.

Margaret.

Hi Margaret, you will not need to move the fridge freezer to access the panel; the panel is inside the fridge on the back wall... Once the panel is removed, you should see the drain hole near to the bottom behind the panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks.

Our good friend moved the Fridge and removed the three covers inside,

and there was a small blockage in the hose. This was washed through and everything was cleaned and replaced.

Sadly everything was as before! Never mind, thanks anyway.

Hi Margaret,

I would suspect that there is still a blockage, or, the ice is melting but cannot drain before the freezer switches on again and therefore the water in the hose is freezing.

Try directing the drain at the rear into a bucket for now, and defrost the freezer for a while with the door open.