Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Zanussi fridge freezer model ZRB324NWO. Three weeks

Customer Question

Hi I have a Zanussi fridge freezer model ZRB324NWO. Three weeks ago it stopped working; both fridge and freezer. Then it came back on for a week or so and now it has stopped working again. What can it be?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Would you kindly give me the product code or pnc that is on the rating label then I can look up the specifications and advise you of the likely cause ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

Serial number: 24100107

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

PNC: 925 993 049

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

Type: RD-30WC4SE1

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

Batch number: B-ME3S

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

Another number with bar code: VB0230 2000SY JME3SS4 0160

Dales-Electronic :

OK when it is running can you get around to the back ~ secondly, how long does it stay off when this happens?

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

We can get round to the back if we pull it out from its position. As there is hardly any food in it now it is easier to do than if it were working and full of food. It went off the first time for about 5 days. Then it came back on for a week or so and now it has been off for a week.

Dales-Electronic :

OK I need you to tell me if when you put your hand on the motor (compressor) after it has run for some time if it is hot or just luke warm ?

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

I do not know where the compressor is. What does it look like. Also, please bear in mind that the appliance has now not been working for a week

Dales-Electronic :

OK the compressor is the black thing at the back that pumps the refrigerant around the system.

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

OK we've pulled it out. The fridge back is mostly covered apart from a section at the bottom with exposed pipes/cables. There is a big round black 'thing' at the bottom of the fridge back with all the copper pipes and wires. There is nothing hot or even luke warm at all that I can feel. Inside the appliance, the light comes on in the fridge part when door is opened. Freezer part is now getting mould in it.

Dales-Electronic :

OK is there a plastic box to the left with wires coming out of it?

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

Yes. There is a black plastic box attached to the LH side of the compressor with a steel strap presumable fixing it in place. The cables lead to another box, grey, fixed to the LH end of the whole opening.

Dales-Electronic :

Ah good, ignore the one with the metal strap now look at the grey one, this houses the defrost heater, if you can now look at it you will see a small round thing on its front face. Have you got that? If you have it, let me know x

Dales-Electronic :

sorry should have said defrost timer not heater, can you see it?

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

No, there is only the screw fixing it to the bulkhead. The box itself has no features at all on the face which is visible.

Dales-Electronic :

OK I need you to take it off the bulkhead for me power off please

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

OK. I will find a screwdriver and do it.

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

OK done. There was a snail shell stuck to the back. When I opened the box there is just a jumble of wires. I did not take them out.

Dales-Electronic :

Domestic Defost Timer
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

I could not see anything that looks like the timer shown on the link. I will look again.

Dales-Electronic :

If you look on the above picture you will see the defrost timer on the right hand side 'zanussi fridge freezer defrost' if you can see that in the box you have the correct box, if not then you need to look for this part. It may be up the back behind a panel. There was a modification carried out to this model just depends which one you have got

Dales-Electronic :

I have to head off and pick my daughter up but will be back to continue shortly, this will give you time to find the component ~ ian

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

OK no probs. The grey box I unscrewed is just a housing for wires and connectors. Obviously not the one. I will look under a black panel screwed to back of fridge just above compressor/wiring opening.

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

Yes, found it. It was in a separate housing behind a black cover fixed by 3 screws, positioned in the back cover of appliance just above the compressor and pipe/cable opening to LH side. I will come back in a few minutes.

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

Any idea what time you will be back?

Dales-Electronic :

OK Im back now ~ when you are ready

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

OK I am here.

Dales-Electronic :

Can you see on this timer that there is a little circular thing with a slot in it at the opposite end to the wires?

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

I will go and look. Computer is upstairs and fridge is downstairs so there will always be a delay while i run down.

Dales-Electronic :

OK

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

There is a blue thing like a screw head which can be accessed through a hole in the black cover. The whole device is actually held by clips into the black cover itself.

Dales-Electronic :

OK you need to plug the appliance in and turn the blue screw head a little and tell me if the f/freezer then starts up?

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

OK

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

That was difficult. It is such a stupidly designed screw that I was stripping it by doing it while fixed to cover. Took it off cover and have turned it a bit to left and there was a big 'beep' and appliance now making a noise which I presume means it is working again.

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me explain what this thing does, every 8, 12, 24 or so hours its switches the motor off and switches on a heater that defrosts things in the freezer to stop it freezing up, basically it is just a timer that switches the motor or heater on at various times during the day. This is the component that is causing you problems, if you replaced the defrost timer which will cost you around £20 everything will be back to normal. At the moment all it is doing is switching things off but not back on. If you get an original part all you have to do is take the wires off one at a time and put them in their same position on the new timer and put it all back together. Well done ~ would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, this allows me to close down the job on the system but give you further access (should you need it) to ask questions on a foc basis ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-zyzijp7g- :

Thanks Ian. I am happy to give you a top rating. I will do so on the smiley faces.

Dales-Electronic :

Many thanks for your kind rating, if you need further advice later just ping me on here. Have a great weekend ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.