Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an ideal 30 I combination boiler 2 yr old and I'm

Hi I have an ideal 30 I combination boiler 2 yr old and I'm getting heating but the hot water is when ever it feels like it. I have tried the reset but all that flashes up is D U which I thought was to do with the diverted valve being in mid position. Any ideas as to my problem. Mark Cheers
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

What make and model of diverter valve do you have fitted to you system?

Customer:

It's the original diverted valve the boiler is a ideal I 30 combination

Dales-Electronic :

I understand this but usually diverter valves are made by a different company such as Honeywell, each manufacturer uses a different colour wiring to connect. This is why I ask the question ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

As a second question has the fitted diverter valve got a manual lever so that you can manually change the flow direction?

Customer:

Does Elterwater mean anything ?

Customer:

Sorry eltek

Customer:

No not that I can see

Dales-Electronic :

Eltek make valves but only for the medical and automotive industry ~ has the diverter valve you have got a lever?

Customer:

No not that I can see.

Dales-Electronic :

OK is there anyway that you can switch off the power to the diverter valve and then reconnect and see/feel if it is actually changing its flow direction, most diverter valves are spring loaded one way and when power is applied will switch the other way ~ Ian

Customer:

I turned the power off and disconnected the wiring from the diverter valve then turned the power back on fired the hot water back up then plugged the wiring to the valve back in but couldn't see anything moving the valve is on like a metal fork that lifts the valve up and down.

Dales-Electronic :

OK well you need to establish if you are receiving power to the diverter valve, if you disconnect it do you get hot water? and can you use a multimeter?

Customer:

There is defenatly power to the valve I've had it out, when you fire it up the spindle is rotating

Dales-Electronic :

OK when the spindle rotates do you get central heating working?

Customer:

Did you not read my original post that explains exactly what's happening

Dales-Electronic :

I read you post but a diverter valve is spring loaded, it doesn't usually stay in the mid position, under normal circumstances you would test this out with a multimeter but since you haven't indicated that you have or can use one we have to try doing it another way ie by finding out by connecting or disconnecting the valve and seeing what it will do. Your later post seems to indicate that applying power causes the valve to work ??

Customer:

Sorry I haven't got a multi meter, but I have explained that I have got central heating and now and again I am getting hot water but not all the time so there is power to the valve, I have tried reseting the boiler, there is no fault code coming up, but it is flashing D U

Dales-Electronic :

You give me nothing and then you wonder why I try systematically to find the fault, there is no problem with the boiler had there been you wouldn't have central heating but you might have a problem with the control of the diverter valve or the valve itself, You cant give me the name of the diverter valve or even a model number, you don't have a multimeter to confirm that you are getting the correct voltages and you wont let me help you. D just indicates that the boiler has recognised that hot water is required, there is no U listed in the service manual. Now you give me a poor service rating !!

Customer:

Firstly I am not a plumber, I have got a plumber, but I was looking for a second opinion on possible issues. I have given you as much knowledge as I can obtain. If you have been in to the service manual on the section on diverter valve, it states that the fault code will alternatea

Customer:

I am not a plumber, I have a plumber but was looking for a second opinion on possible issues. The manual section that refers to the diverter valve states that the display will alternate between d and u when the boiler has been reset. I was of the understanding that you were an ideal heating technician. I gave you a poor rating because you cut me off and only seemed to be interested in power to the valve when even I know it is unlikely that since it works sporadically. It could be another fault.

Dales-Electronic :

You were never cut-off, if I leave this page to view another question it indicates that I have left Your chat area but when you repost it pings me back to you. The fact that the boiler works is indicative of a fault elsewhere unless it is a problem with the main pcb. The information given by you indicated that you thought there was a problem with the diverter valve. Ok sensible thing to do is to confirm that the diverter valve has a problem (as indicated) rather than start messing about with the boiler. If the diverter valve is faulty then we have the fault, if not then we track it back through the wiring to the boiler pcb. However, as already mentioned, if you cant tell me what make of diverter valve (which wont be made by Ideal) I cant tell you how to test it.