Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a tumble dryer ZDC 37200W, the drum sometimes does not

I have a tumble dryer ZDC 37200W, the drum sometimes does not run although the motor is trying to turn it or that is what it sounds like, due to the humming sound. if we open the door and move the drum round by hand then switch it back on the drum then starts to run. thought it might be a problem with motor brushes but it seems this motor does not have them. Any thoughts please.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK the motor used in this dryer is fitted with a start capacitor to initially give it a boost to get the motor started, if this fails you have this result ~ however it can also be the motor windings being damaged. If you get access to the motor you will see a metal cylindrical (sometimes plastic) thing bolted to the side with two wires coming out of it. Remove this and check its value on the side likely to be 8uf. Take it to your local appliance repair company and get it changed for one of the same value. Put the new one back in and reconnect the wires. its not critical which way around they fit. This should cure your problem, if it doesn't then the motor is faulty and will need replacing too. Would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, once done this will allow me to closed down the job but give you access to further questions if you have them on a free of charge basis ~ Ian