George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Bosch classixx 1200 express washing machine fills slowly in

Bosch classixx 1200 express washing machine fills slowly in short gasps and won't drain. Will spin if drum emptied via drain hose on front. Inlet valve coils both have same resistance. have blown down pressure switch hose and it is clear. Blowing into pressure switch causes switch to operate. What fault would affect filling AND Draining? Thanks
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you give me the FD of the appliance please.. it is next to the Enr on the label inside the door

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

Hi FD8702

George-Allsorts :

Hi, so it is a Feb 2007 model... Let me just go look at the diagram for the appliance

George-Allsorts :

Does the pump operate properly on this appliance?

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

Don't know. If I switch it on a cycle it takes ages for the drum to fill in short one second "gasps" but it never seems to get to the point where it empties - it stops with the 1200 and 600 leds lit.

George-Allsorts :

Thanks.. one moment please

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

If I blow down the pressure switch hose I hear bubbles - should the pressure vessel at the bottom have a diaphragm?

George-Allsorts :

No...

One moment please.. I am just looking at the documents I have for your model

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. you say that you blow down the pressure switch hose and you hear bubbles... This is because there is a chamber at the bottom that has water in it... It is just a chamber, there is nothing in it... It connects the pressure switch to the tank system via the sump hose.

George-Allsorts :

I want you to try something. Do you have a set of tools?

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

Yes

George-Allsorts :

Firstly, I want you to turn the dial to the off position... Then turn it to the drain position and press start to see if the appliance pump works.

If it doesn't, let me know.

If it does, then I want you to unplug the appliance and take off the sump hose.. Disconnect it at the base of the drum.. Make sure there is nothing in that hose... This is the only area that would affect both the fill and the drain simultaniously..

George-Allsorts :

------------------
Does the pump work?
------------------

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

ok switched to drain - after OFF - relay clicks but then nothing. mind you drum is empty already [i drained it via drain hose] should i put some water in via tray and try again?

George-Allsorts :

Yes... Use a pan to put water into the appliance vis the door or the tray... Put the hose into a bucket so you can see the water flow if the pump is working

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

No dice - nothing happens after the relay clicks

George-Allsorts :

So you are turning it off... turning it on to spin, and pressing start but there is no pump action?

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

correct

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

thats DRAIN not SPIN though

George-Allsorts :

Then you need to use a multimeter to test the pump

George-Allsorts :

If you get a reading using the multimeter when testing the pump, you'll need to test the power supply to the pump

------------------------------
Can you please rate the assistance at this point... it will close the chat and open in Q&A, but will still allow us to converse further

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

ok - have got machine on its side and have disconnected the rubber sump it has a 2inch approx nylon ball inside [plus some gunk] i have disconnected the electrical connector to the pump but can't rotate the pump much to remove it - will try a continuity test in-situ. If the pump is duff would it explain the wierd filling?

JACUSTOMER-i7k0ow1k- :

pump coil is 156ohm

George-Allsorts :

The ball is supposed to be there, but the gunk/junk isn't...

George-Allsorts :

Once you have cleared the Sump hose, take out the pressure chamber from the sump hose and check it... Once all is clean, put it all back together...

George-Allsorts :

---------------
Close door
Switch selector off & wait a couple of seconds
Turn selector to six o'clock position. Touch spin speed button and turn selector clockwise to seven o'clock position. Release spin speed button. Error memory will show. Turn selector to off.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can we continue?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is the pressure chamber?

The pressure chamber is the white plastic tubular piece that is on the right hand side of the sump hose... The pressure tube will be attached to the top of it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George, thanks for your help so far - I've already rated you and therefore paid - are we ok to continue without me paying further?

Hi John, certainly, although I am going out for a while, so will be unavailable.. If you need me, leave me a message.

I will be here to assist you further, so if you need assistance, just ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George, I have cleaned everything and put it back together. While it was accessible I rigged power to the pump which worked fine.

I did the reset routine you posted and the 1200 and 600 leds lit.

I selected a wash cycle [mixed load] and pressed start. Just as before the drum starts to rotate slowly - first one way then the other but the water just comes in in intermittent 1 second bursts with six or seven seconds in between bursts. This is the original fault.

Hi John, I think you have a problem with your pressure switch, but let me contact the tech office and check that out for you tomorrow..

I will come back to you once I have heard back from them

regards
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks George - much appreciated.

Can you check the brushes in the motor.

Also, I don't think there is, but just to confirm, is there a small display on your model?.. If so, is there an error number showing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George, I'll look for the brushes [ motor seems to work fine though].

My model doesn't have a display just the spin speed LEDs.

John

Thanks, ***** ***** brushes for me, and let me know their length
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George, the brushes are at least an inch and a half long.

Thanks... I'll let you know what I hear back from Tech
As already instructed:

Pump blocked or broken (Check Pump and Impellor state)
Pressure chamber Blocked
Pressure Switch faulty or blocked
Water Level Controller Defective

I would be changing the pressure switch at this point John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok George I think we've about exhausted this now. Thanks for your help.

One last question - what is the water level controller?