Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Please can you tell me how to remove the drum lifter in my

Customer Question

Please can you tell me how to remove the drum lifter in my hotpoint washing machine? I can't find the specific information for the Hotpoint WMD 960 P (UK).R Drum Paddle. It has 12 equally spaced holes so I can't ascertain if there is a hidden tab that needs pressed down and if so, which hole I need to use to do this. I have seen videos with instructions for removing the alternative lifter model where there is a larger gap between the 3rd and 4th holes which is used to press the hidden metal tab down. I am at a loss!! My machine is an Ultima SWMD 9637. Thank you in advance for your help.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

Hi Ian - what do you need to know from me?

Dales-Electronic :

The best way and the one that will save you doing any damage is to take the drum to pump hose off and do it from underneath, that way you can see where the tab is, flick it back and once replaced re clip it ~ It may take you ten minutes extra but you wont accidently break off the tab ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

to be honest that is a nightmare for me - I am disabled and the machine is in a really tight space so it will be impossible. I just need to know where the tab is located with regard to the 12 equally spaced holes.

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

I have tried pushing a slim screwdriver through all of the holes and I can't feel any tabs under any of the holes. Am I wrong in assuming that there is a hidden metal tab in this model? I assumed there must be because I can't pull the lifter out.

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

Hi Ian - are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

Ian - are you going to get back to me on the further questions I asked or have you completed your response to my enquiry? If there isn't a way to confirm the process/tab location for the drum lifters then I need to organise an engineer to come out urgently because I need to be able to use the machine.

Dales-Electronic :

The problem that you have is that each section has a tab and it is just depends on which one has been pushed in on the day. Why are you trying to pull the lifter out if it is securely fitted?/ ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

Because the whole end of one of the lifters has smashed into several pieces during a wash leaving sharp edges/points which will inevitably shred all of the washing. Sounds like I will need to call someone out to do the work which is tedious. Never again will I buy a machine with plastic lifters - the drums with the moulded stainless steel lifters are far better.

Dales-Electronic :

Totally agree ~ I have been looking at the specs for this and note that uses the Indesit drum lifter rather than the Hotpoint version ~ can you give me the part number for the new supplied lifter.

Dales-Electronic :

Can you confirm that the drum lifter that is supplied has three dots on the front of it?

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

I don't know what you are looking at but there are no dots anywhere on these parts either the manufacturers or the aftermarket versions.. The number I gave in my original question is the only part number I can find - Hotpoint WMD 960 P (UK).R Drum Paddle.

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

on the official hotpoint site if you paste the part description I gave you into the search box, my lifter is the first search result in the list.

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :
Washing Machine Drum Paddle
£13.99

WASHING MACHINE DRUM PADDLE

The drum paddle in your washing machine helps to direct the flow of water for an effective wash. This part is also known as a lifter.

Ratings:

JACUSTOMER-jozonlf5- :

I have copied the image etc from the hotpoint website and sent it to you.

Dales-Electronic :

OK clever little lot, no part numbers BUT to remove this type of lifter, press a small screwdriver through holes 3 and 5 from the front and tap the retaining tabs back. Once this is done the drum lifter should slide and lift out. Once this is done gently lift the tab up and slide the new lifter on until it locks in place. Would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, this allows the job to be closed on the system whilst allowing you further questions if needed on a free of charge basis ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

To answer you earlier question, there are three dots on the front of the mark 3 paddle so that you know which way around to fit it in. The part number you supplied is actually the model of washing machine that this lifter fits not its part number.