Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a hotpoint them 80c experience condenser dryer it

Hi I have a hotpoint them 80c experience condenser dryer it trips my fuse board as soon as I press start the drum moves freely the belt is still on there's no obvious wires chaffed any ideas please
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Could you give me the full model and serial number please ~ Ian

Customer: Hotpoint model TCEM80C6P
Dales-Electronic :

Serial number also please

Customer: *********
Dales-Electronic :

OK first things first, unplug the unit and take the back heater cover off and gently fold it back. Let me know if it is full of water? ~ Ian

Customer: Already done it there was a few drips in the bottom cover
Dales-Electronic :

OK now fold the cover gently out of the way. reconnect to the electric and advise if the unit runs or still trips the electric.

Customer: No it doesn't
Dales-Electronic :

No it doesnt trip the electric or no it doesn't run?

Customer: Sorry yes it runs and doesn't trip the electric
Dales-Electronic :

OK let me explain why we are about to do the next thing. It is quite common for the fan at the back to pick up residual water in the heater cover and flick it up into the heater assembly subsequently tripping the electric. I would like you with the heater cover still folded back and held with pair of pliers or similar to run the dryer on full power for a couple of minutes to dry the heater box out. You might need someone to help you start and stop the dryer. You will feel the cover heat up you may be able to see the elements glow if you look down from the top, this is normal. When you have done this come back to me with the results ~ Ian

Customer: Yes the 2 heater elements glow orange and all goes fine
Dales-Electronic :

OK you should be OK now, put it all back together and try it fully assembled then come back and confirm all is going OK ~ Ian

Customer: Mate it seems to be fine any ideas why the water got in - we usually empty the drawer etc
Dales-Electronic :

Water is picked up in the condenser housing and pumped up to the tank, sometimes there is a slight residue in the bottom or the pipes at the back between the tank and bottom get slightly blocked, just remove them and blow through them will clear it out. Occasionally sometimes if moved the water gets into the heater box area and as in your case gets thrown up by the fan. You should be OK now for a good while but at least you know what to do next time. Would you now kindly rate my service to you using the smiley faces below, this allows me to close down the job on the system but lets you ask more questions free of charge if you need. Take care and have a good weekend ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Would you now kindly rate the service so that I can shut down the job. Thanks

Customer: Thanks for your help mate