Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Prestige Fridge Freezer Model No. PRT295FFCS. The

Customer Question

I have a Prestige Fridge Freezer Model No. PRT295FFCS. The unit is on a humming normally, but neither the fridge of freezer are cold. The green F alarm indicator light is on but I can't find anything in the manual to tell me what this means. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Regards. Gail
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Hello Ian,

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Awaiting your pearls of wisdom.

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Technically challenged individual here so please use words of one syllable only!

Dales-Electronic :

OK is there a number after the F code?

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

No. Only a green light.

Dales-Electronic :

OK is the fan running in the freezer?

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Something is whiring but I don't think its a fan in the freezer.

Dales-Electronic :

OK how handy are you with tools?

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Tools I'm good at.

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me explain how this thing works and then we can take it stage by stage. There is no cooling in the refrigerator section at all, cooling is ducted up through pipes behind the freezer in a flow of cold air to the fridge and then a return of warm air for further cooling ~ so a cycle of air flowing to and from the freezer to the fridge. It is quite common for the pipes to freeze up and not allow any air flow to the fridge. Now can you see if you go around the back a black component with pipes running up and down it?

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

OK. Might need to do some major work here as back of unit has a cover on that runs from top to about 6 inches from the floor. Nothing on show that looks like it has pipes running up and down.

Dales-Electronic :

OK can you see the motor (compressor at the bottom) and see the three pipes that come out of it, there should be 1 small 1 larger and 1 that is cut off and crimped over ~ have you got them?

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Yes, got that. It's very warm.

Dales-Electronic :

OK ~ can you confirm that it has been running almost constantly of late ?

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Yes - been humming louder than usual.

Dales-Electronic :

OK the problem you have is that either the refrigeration system is short of refrigerant, common on these appliances or the compressor (motor) is faulty and unable to pump the refrigerant. You will need a refrigeration engineer to come out and recharge it or replace the motor if it is in fact faulty. If you need one let me have your postcode and I will send you some that are reliable and qualified to do the job ~ Ia

Dales-Electronic :

~ would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, this allows you to ask further questions free of charge but lets me shut the job down on the system ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Many thanks. Post code is ME15 8PB. Definitely need recommendations as don't know any fridge engineers!

Dales-Electronic :

OK give me a minute whilst I bring up the information

Dales-Electronic :

OK you are in luck, try this guy who I know personally and is a very good engineer ~~

Dales-Electronic :

Eddie Laycock ~ Eldar Ltd on 01282 422800 ~ he will be able to help you out and sort out the problem. ~ Would you now kindly rate my service, you can come back to me anytime and ask further questions once done either now or in the future if you have further queries Ian

JACUSTOMER-2i86rrje- :

Many thanks for all your help Ian. Much appreciated.

Dales-Electronic :

Just in case the number didn't come out as the system often blocks phone number ~ #01282 422800 ignore the #

Take care and have a good weekend ~ Ian