George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Bosch SMV50C dishwasher not draining. Can you help diagnose

Bosch SMV50C dishwasher not draining. Can you help diagnose fault?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you tell me, when you have the hose down low into a bowl you say the water does drain, but, is this when the pump is switched on or off?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer:

When the pump is switched on. If I reset the machine and start it with the outlet hose in the basin then at the start you can hear the pump running and the water flows into the basin.

George-Allsorts :

Does the water flow fast or slow?

Customer:

It seems reasonably fast to me, it's definitely not a trickle. Not slow enough to indicate the hose is blocked if that makes sense?

George-Allsorts :

That does make sense... However, the response I was fishing for was whether or not it seemed to be flowing or pumping.... What you could try is to place your thumb over the end of the hose to see if there is pressure behind the flow..

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but I'm of the opinion that there is an issue with the hose being partially blocked, or the pump being defective

Customer:

ok I will go try that now

George-Allsorts :

Ok, thank you .. when you do so, allow the pressure to build behind your thumb and then release in your bowl, then test the pressure again with your thumb

George-Allsorts :

You may also wish to try raising the bowl to the level of the lid to see if it will pump that high

Customer:

Ah, ok, I think I found the problem. When I cleaned the filter the first time I popped out the white plastic piece in front of the impeller as per the instruction. When I tried the drain cycle after that I was doing it without that piece in place. When I replaced it seems to drain fine. I guess that bit is needed for the drain pump to work properly!

George-Allsorts :

Ahh... without that cover in place, the pump can not create the pressure to pump out

Customer:

Ok, my fault then. thanks for your help. I'll just mark your feedback as excellent and we can close this one.

Customer:

Cheers,

Mark

George-Allsorts :

You're welcome Mark

-----------------------------------
Please take a moment to rate my assistance.. Please use the smiley faces to do this.