George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hotpoint Fan Oven with top grill DH93KS-BK purchased 2013. When

Hotpoint Fan Oven with top grill DH93KS-BK purchased 2013.
When I use the oven, what I assume is is the cooling fan located at the top of the oven becomes noisy. It sounds as if something is rubbing against something. Until now it has always run silently, but the noise is becoming annoying. What can the problem be and how do I fix it?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** to confirm that you are taking about the cooling fan, can you tell me, is the noise still there when you have turned the hot oven off?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer:

It will start whilst I am cooking so the main oven and the top oven/grill can be on (plate warming) and the noise will start..

Customer:

Can I access this fan to see what is going on - if so how?

George-Allsorts :

Yes, I understand .. but I need to know if it continues after the oven has been switched off...

If yes, then it is the cooling fan that is making the noise
If no, then it will be the oven fan that is making the noise

Customer:

Yes it does continue and the fan in the main oven is working fine

Customer:

Hi George, I must point out that doesnt always happen every time I put the oven on.

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. So we are definately talking about the tangential cooling fan... Sometimes a little attention to the bearing at the end of the fan can stop the noise; but quite often the fan will need changing.

One moment whilst I find your particular model details

Customer:

OK

George-Allsorts :

The part number for the fan is #C00230235

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thank you George,

Customer:

Is this a job I could undertake. How do I access the item in the oven?

George-Allsorts :

The part is accessed by removal of the rear and top panel... The motor at the side of the fan can be twisted off and the ends of the shaft and bearings cleaned and then reassembled

George-Allsorts :

Make sure to turn off the power before any attempts to dismantle

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** assume I have to take the oven out of the kitchen unit that it is built into, if so would you advise that I try to clean/service the item before purchasing a new one.

Customer:

Is it a fairly straightforward job - for a novice!!!

George-Allsorts :

Yes, the Oven will need to be removed from the unit... Best to use a workbench to sit it on... Attempts to clean and reuse before purchase is best... If necessary a new part is around £20

The only difficult part is getting the heavy oven on to the workbench

-----------------------------------
Please take a moment to rate my assistance.. Please use the smiley faces to do this.

Customer:

Brilliant george, thank you very much for all your advice.

George-Allsorts :

You're very welcome

George-Allsorts :

-----------------------------------