Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

swimming pool Larrs boiler trip the mains ?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi does the boiler have a pump or fan? When these fail and short circuit , the mains will trip

Plumberpro :

.

Customer:

it is a swimming pool boiler, so the pump is outside

Plumberpro :

Ok , you need to check what is short circuiting. A multimeter on ohms is the best tool for this . is the circuit breaker that is tripping doing the whole system , is boiler pump etc?

Plumberpro :

Meant boiler , pump etc.

Customer:

I by passed the circuit that when I found it tripped the circuit , I wonder if it is the temperature control unit ?

Plumberpro :

When a circuit is tripping it is normally something that has shorted . in my experience that is normally something with a coil, is a motor like a fan or pump , as these are heavy duty jobs . but yes it could be any component. Normally they boiler components are protected by a fuse on the PCB within the boiler . maybe it would be worth taking out the switched live from the boiler , run the system and see if it still trips . this might help narrow things down a bit

Customer:

Ah but I used a separate lead to by pass the circuit , if the PCB fuse was blown ,it would not have tripped the the mains ?

Customer:

I willl try as suggested & will come back to you later on.

Plumberpro :

Ok , you could also do the same for the pump, take the live out run the system etc , to try to track the faulty part down

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Toby I tried every possible ways it just trip the fuse ! I suspect the culprit is in the Honeywell gas valve, I wonder where I can purchase the unit ?

Do you have the gas valve number. It may be a standard valve used in a lot of boilers , hopefully
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Toby,The gas valve is a Honeywell Type VS8820A1001,

http://www.gasboilerparts.co.uk/products/3231-laars-,-gas-valve-,-natural-gas--.html.
Wow , pretty expensive.