George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

, I have a Bosche induction hob, which is about 5 years old

Hi, I have a Bosche induction hob, which is about 5 years old but hardly ever used. Recently it has started playing up a bit, and the problem has got worse and worse. When you switch on a ring, it just errors, but if i keep trying after 15-20 times it will work.
Is it worth getting this repaired or should i just replace it?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is George.. Can you let me know the model of the hob... It will be underneath the hob on a label, or on the rear of the user handbook.

Can you also tell me in what situation you are using the hob... ie. House, Caravan, etc.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer :

Hi George.

Customer :

Difficult to see the actual model number, however from pictures on the net, i think it is a Bosche PIE611B.

Customer :

The use, is in a flat which is only occasionally used.

George-Allsorts :

Thanks for that... One moment please

Customer :

Hi George...No problem.

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me the temperature of the flat whilst you are not there?.. is it heated or not?

Customer :

Heating is not on, but it is in a block of flats...temperature varies from probably 3-25 c

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me, is the problem related to any of the rings, or just one ring?

Customer :

All the rings

George-Allsorts :

Once you get it working, does it the work fine for the rest of the day?

Customer :

nope...it works fine for the ring that is working, and then the same messing around to get the next ring going.

George-Allsorts :

Thank you for answering these questions.. I'm sorry I had to ask you so many but I didn't want to mis-lead you...

The problem you have seems to be with the Operating module, or the connections to it...

Operating module 00745587

Customer :

OK...and is that easy to change?

Customer :

Also is that a common thing to go wrong?

George-Allsorts :

It is proberbly best to try to repair this... It could simply be poor connections to that board... After you trying for so long the connection you are using would warm up and start working

Customer :

I am also wondering if switching the mains off to the hob every time we leave the flat is a good thing or not?

George-Allsorts :

Not common.. but I do see it now and again

Customer :

The other option is to replace the hob and keep the duff one and try and repair it at leisure.

George-Allsorts :

Normally, pwer to the hob would be left on... The constant switching on and off of the appliance adds a degree of wear to the components

George-Allsorts :

What you suggest is also a good idea if you plan to later sell it

Customer :

I was just looking around while we were chatting, and there is a neff one for around the same price, am i better sticking with Bosch or switching to neff, or they much of a muchness between the two?

Customer :

I have a few flats and teh repaired one could go into storage ready for another break down.

Customer :

the broken hob looks brand new!

George-Allsorts :

Bosch, Neff, and Siemens are all the same group... The BSH Group

-------------------------------------------------------------
Please take a little time to rate the assistance given to you today.. Use the smiley faces to do this

Customer :

i don't know if i just had bad luck with that Bosch and if it is a good brand to buy again?

George-Allsorts :

Bosch, Neff, and Siemens are usually good quality equipment.. I think in this case you have just been unfortunate

Customer :

Ok...so similar or same reliability...the bosch would be easiest as the hole in the top would be identical.

George-Allsorts :

Can you see the FD on your label?

Customer :

Ok... many thanks for your excellent help...I will try the repair and see how it goes.

George-Allsorts :

How old is the appliance

George-Allsorts :

?

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess about 5 years old

Ok Elle, I would suggest having a look at the label again... See if you can see the FD on the label.. Then check with Bosch to see if the warraanty was a 2 year or a 5 year warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok...will check that too, but will need to get the hob out to check it.

Many thanks again for your help.

Try using the camera on your phone to photo the label
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok..I will do...BTW do you know anything about siemens dishwashers?

Yes why?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok...let me open this as a new question.

I have a siemens dishwasher and am getting error code e01...which i think means water left in the base of the machine. This is not the case and it is working fine.

That said this is a rental flat, and i have just cleared a blockage in the waste. The tenant had tried to clear a blockage and left the pump cover loose and it was catching on the pump. Now even though the machine cycles OK i get this error code e01 at the end of the cycle.

It stopped for a few runs and then has come back again. I tried doing a machine reset, but that did not do anything.

As you say, you will need to open that as a new question, with an appropriate value.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok...will do...will be back in about an hour with that question.

Many thanks ...Bye for now

OK.. Get as much of the model information as possible before listing