Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

WE HAVE A VAILLANT 831 BOILER, IT WILL FIRE UP & DISPLAY FLAME

WE HAVE A VAILLANT 831 BOILER, IT WILL FIRE UP & DISPLAY FLAME BUT STOPS AFTER ABOUT 10SECS ANY IDEAS PLEASE. REGARDS TERRY.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Terry,
How old is your boiler?
Also does the unit actually produce a flame for that short period of time?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

APPROX 6YRS..THE UNIT DOES PRODUCE A FLAME FOR ABOUT 10SECS.IT WILL ALSO FIRE UP ON ITS OWN >

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Terry, if its been over a year since its been professionally cleaned thats what it will need.
This is usually caused by a failing flame sensor.
When the furnace cant detect the flame, it will shut off as a safety condition.
If you have gas service experience we can go further but if not, this would be best checked by a qualified heating repair technician local to you for safety reasons.
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me even after rating at no additional cost until this is fixed
please be sure to give my answer a top-three rating.
It won't cost you anything to further to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost but you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you Terry and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THE FLAME DOES LIGHT UP & STEAM COMES FROM EXHAUST BUT ONLY FOR A SHORT WHILE REGARDS TERRY

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks terry yes the problem is more than likely that the system needs a professional cleaning because the sensor is blocked by dust or soot.
Or the sensor has failed.
There is a part in there called a thermocouple that controls all of this for safety to be sure it doesn't keep outputting gas if the unit fails to burn correctly and sense the flame. But this best done by a local gas heat technician as specialized tools are needed for this, also the unit likely needs a good internal cleaning and adjustment;-)
I will still be here for you in case you need me further but please rate kindly at this time and have a great day Terry.
Tech Michael