Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

SMEG Dishwasher DC122B had the thing 8 months it's just broken

Customer Question

SMEG Dishwasher DC122B had the thing 8 months it's just broken down again. Is there a known fault with this model as it breaks glasses, even on the bottom tray. The bits of glass then stop the pump from emptying all the water and consequently the machine won't do anything. The man from SMEG says if it's broken glass then they'll charge us for the repair despite it still having 4 months left on the warranty, plus the machine has broken the glass not us!!!! Last time, my wife watched the technician remove the pump, clean it and refit everything, took him less than 10 minutes and then he wanted £60 for the "repair". Argued with SMEG who waived the charge. I'm fairly handy with machinery (time served Tool Maker) and I need some instructions in how to remove the pump, clean and refit it? Thanks
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK the thing with the glasses breaking is always an issue, by there design they are usually top/bottom heavy which when the high pressure water jets hit them in the wash cycle causes them to fall over ~~ bad service I haven't even answered the question yet !!

JACUSTOMER-62cc07ye- :

Sorry pressed wrong button!

Dales-Electronic :

~~ this usually means that they smash and then broken shards get in the pump. The only thing to do is wash the glasses by hand or make sure they are jammed in so they cant move. On the question of getting at the pump. Not a hard job, water drain and electric off. Place the appliance on its back and you will see a inspection panel in the base. Remove this and follow drain hose to pump. depending on pump undo screws or clips, twist off, remove glass piece and taking care not to damage the seal replace rescrew/clip. Base on reconnect services and test ~ End.

Dales-Electronic :

Would you now kindly revisit the rating section and reconsider you original rating given. Once this is done all further questions can be answered free of charge ~ many thanks ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-62cc07ye- :

Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Go ahead

JACUSTOMER-62cc07ye- :

Sorry I've got real sausage fingers today. Are you familiar with this model? My wife (not very technical) tells me that the last repair involved removing a panel under the door and she saw the guy remove (presuming pump?) from there? Is the pump accessible from the front? Also I presume that the pump must be secured with a screw or two and then twisted clockwise or anti-clockwise to remove and that it's sealed by an O ring or similar?

JACUSTOMER-62cc07ye- :

My wife (not technical minded) says that the last guy, seemed to remove a cover under the door and remove the pump? Is the pump on this model accessible from the front? Also I presume the pump is secured by a screw or two and then twisted anti-clockwise to remove and sealed by an O ring or similar?

Dales-Electronic :

You have it in one, if you don't know what you are doing its much better to get at it from underneath you can see where everything goes, you can by all means also take the front panel off which will give you access from both sides which might be useful and you likely will need some torx screwdrivers too Seal can be O ring or flat rubber seal depending on which manufacturer of pump you have (smeg buy the pumps in) If you take it slow and steady and don't force anything its not a complex task

JACUSTOMER-62cc07ye- :

Ian

JACUSTOMER-62cc07ye- :

Thanks for the help, don't like this site much it logs you out much too quickly! I presume I can come back and ask you if I hit a snag? Cheers

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ian

Sorry, did the rating as you requested and the thing logged me out! First time I've ever used this service can you answer my last question?

cheers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ian

You did answer my question, it would appear that there is a significant lag on the answers appearing?

Dales-Electronic :

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ian

All fixed even easier than you described, not a single screw to undo. A couple of flat balded screwdrivers to remove base via plastic tabs. Turn pump through approx 30 degrees and off it came, piece of glas about the size of a 5p. Took less than 30 minutes including isolating water etc.

Cheers

Excellent ~ you got one of the latest, not so good as the earlier ones in my opinion as you have no control of the tightness and if you break off one of the plastic tabs disaster. Glad you got it sorted ~ you are now an expert !! Regards ~ Ian