Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

How do I replace the door seal on ZANUSSI WJS1465W washer/

How do I replace the door seal on ZANUSSI WJS1465W washer/dryer?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Is the door seal fitted onto the drum at the moment?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is - but without the inner door seal spring

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok what i do is lean the washer backwards against a wall as this will allow the drum to drop back a little and gives a bit more room.

Then get a long screwdriver and push it through the hole in the door lock were the door pin goes.

Now hook the spring over the screwdriver and push it aganist the drum.

Now hold the screwdriver with you knee and then strech the spring clamp around the lip of the door seal and feed it all the way round.

As you get round the bottom it will start to get tight but try and get it round there and then pull the screw driver out from there.

The tricky part can be round the dryer vent at the top. What i do sometimes is remove this while is refit the seal.

Take the top off and you will see the dryer chamber on the top.

Towards the front of this remove the 7mm screw. Then remove the 7mm screw holding the front of it on the inside of the door and you can remove it from there.

Then refit the sping clamp as above and then refit the vent into place.

Try that and see what you find and let me know. These Zanussis have never been an easy washer to fit a door seal on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

does the first groove of the inner part of the seal have to fit into the inner rim first?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Yes you need to make sure the door seal is lipped onto the drum first.

If you look at the door seal there a lip.

Peel it backwards and then it sits onto the lip of the drum and then you can feed ir round the drum.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the only way I can do this is bt taking the feont over off to give me access to the run - can you give me instructions to remove front cover off machine please

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

You cannot remove the front panel on these im afraid as the washer will collapse if you did.

As i said these are a complete nightmare to do even for use engineers as theres virtually no room to work in there.

But is all done front the front through the door hole im afraid.

Have a look at this video link and it shows how its done. I know its an AEG washer but its the same style as yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlAXmnKJQ9k

But thats having someone with you to hold the spring. As you dont then use the screwdriver through the door lock hole to hook the spring around so you can strech it onto the seal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had already watched the video - unfortunately it doesn't help getting the inner seal fixed onto the rim of the Zanussi - I'm still trying to make one fix but seal is too tight to stay in place

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

I know thats not the best video.

Helping someone online to fit a door seal on these washers is hard as i can only explane how its done. As you can see if a very tight fit and you need small hands to be able to lip the seal onto the drum.

Look at the seal and you will see a goove around the front on the inside. The lip of the drum sits inbetween there so you need to start at the top and work your way round the drum.

As i have said several times this is one of the hardest seals to fit on a washing machine. Ive know engineers thats been fixing these for years struggle on these and give in. This is the worst seal you can fit im afraid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Looks as though the only way will be a completely new washing machine then - all for the sake of a door seal that can't be fixed

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

It can be done. If its just a case of fitting the seal back on then get a local white goods engineer in as they should be able to do it.

It will just be a labour charge which is roughly £40-50 as theres no parts involved so ring a few companys up in your local yellow pages and get a few quotes as its a strightward repair so they can quote you on the phone so that will be cheaper then a new washer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't suppose you're in the west London area?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Sorry mate im up near Cumbria so quite a distance away.

But there should be quite a few local companys near you.